Bathroom extractor fan wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone advise? I'm trying to rewire a new 50amp pull switch in my bathroom for my electric shower. The pull switch also operates an extractor fan. The old switch broke when my son put his foot through the ceiling as he lost his ballance in the attic - breaking the switch. The supply and load cabls are obvious, but there's a singular cable with a yellow sleeved wire coming from the extractor fan, please could someone advise where this yellow wire should be connected to within the new pull switch? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Is it a single yellow wire, or a green and yellow striped wire? Did the fan used to keep running for a while after the shower was switched off?

If it is solid yellow it will be for the timer - connected to the permenant live - green&yellow then it's an earth cable

EDIT - worth adding that if it is connected to perm live then turning off the switch won't kill the power to the fan

sounds fishy to me. the 1.5mm² cable goes from the fan to this 50A switch? No fuse or anything? Ban's got a good setup i'm sure he will point you to. It certainly shouldn't be wired as i think it is.

Sponsored Links
fishy for three reasons:

1: the (lack of) overcurrent protection
2: the mixing of circuits (never a good thing)
3: the fact that the fan could potentially make the shower live even if the shower isolator is off.

If you really wan't the fan running off the light then its possible to do right but not easy. you basically have to use the shower system (with appropriate fusing down, bas used a din rail mount fuseholder iirc) to operate a contactor which in turn provides the switched live for the fan (which is powered off the lighting circuit).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back