Bathroom fan wiring help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently I have a fan in the bathroom that is on a pull switch. This pull switch operates both the light and fan.

I wish to install a new fan with a run on timer and to be able to isolate the fan from the light so that I can have the light on but not the fan.

I have purchased a 3 way isolator switch which has the fittings for two lives and I believe I need to have a 3 core and earth wire in this circuit.

At this point I am lost as I just cannot understand the wiring diagram that came with the fan. I can get easy access from the roof void to the lighting circuit that feeds the fan and to the switching wire from the pull switch.

Can anyone give me a idiots guide to where I connect what? I presume I need to install a piece of 3 core and earth from the power supply to allow the fan to have a permanent live and to some how be able to keep the light on even when toggle the isolator into the off position.

So to recap I need to be able to turn off the isolator and pull the light switch and the light come on but not the fan, as well as to be able to have the isolator in the on position so that when I pull the light switch the light and fan come on and when I pull the light switch again to toggle the light off the fan will run on on the timer.

Any advise would be appreciated. If it is easier to explain in an email I am happy to provide my email address.

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7553

As I said in other discussion - try here!! Bottom of first page there are 2 examples.

You may find the earth in 3 c and earth is redundant anyway as the fan is probably double insulated and there'll be nowhere to attach the earth to.

towman said:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7553

As I said in other discussion - try here!! Bottom of first page there are 2 examples.

You may find the earth in 3 c and earth is redundant anyway as the fan is probably double insulated and there'll be nowhere to attach the earth to.

I have found the diagrams now thank you. Could you try and help me?

Am I correct in assuming that the think red line near to the switch, isolator and fan is sheathing to show live?

That the 3 core is taken from the light fitting to the isolator and then to the fan? And that the live feed to the light is normal lighting circuit? IE twin and earth?

So the 3 core blue gets wired into the same socket as the incoming neutral? The switched black with red sheath from the light switch gets wired with the yellow 3 core to the isolator? The red live from the switch gets wired with the red 3 core to the isolator? If this is the case I just don't see where the live is coming from unless the out going red live and the red live from the switch and red from 3 core are in a joined box in the light bloc. On the diagram these are separated by a thin black line. Is it the case that the thick black lines denote the three different area of the lighting connector bloc?

Can you confirm that when you say outgoing this is the twin and earth on their way along to complete their circuit to the next point?

Can you provide any further detail from the exploded view of the light fitting connector bloc? Are the black lines divisions in the connector? Does this diagram allow the light to be on while the fan is off?

Sponsored Links
You are in far too deep, and you clearly do not understand the basic principles of lighting circuits.

I strongly advise you to get an electrician to come and do the job properly and safely for you.

Are you aware of part P and its implications for work within a bathroom?

RF Lighting said:
You are in far too deep, and you clearly do not understand the basic principles of lighting circuits.

I strongly advise you to get an electrician to come and do the job properly and safely for you.

Are you aware of part P and its implications for work within a bathroom?

Yes I am fully aware of the nanny state with part P I had hoped that this site had sensible competent people who were prepared to share some knowledge: clearly I was wrong in that assumption.

Just as a matter of interest have you ever tried to obtain an electrician to carry out a small job like this? If you had you would know that it is virtually impossible to do so with out having to pay at least £100 to get them to call and do the job. It is none thought out government intervention such as part P and attitudes like yours that means that cowboy electricians will have plenty of work to do in future. Oh when I go cycling I do not wear an helmet do you wish to report that to the safety police as well Mr. T Hosser

Clearly if someone of your obvious limit intelligence can understand the circuit then I will have no problem once I have had it explained to me. I only need it explaining once. I am not looking to learn schedule 16

wynyard said:
Yes I am fully aware of the nanny state with part P I had hoped that this site had sensible competent people who were prepared to share some knowledge: clearly I was wrong in that assumption.

We are happy to share knowledge and even the breifest of looks at this site will show this.

Just as a matter of interest have you ever tried to obtain an electrician to carry out a small job like this? If you had you would know that it is virtually impossible to do so with out having to pay at least £100 to get them to call and do the job.

No I haven't ever tried to get an electrician.

How much does it cost you to get your car fixed? Or do you try and do this yourself?

It is none thought out government intervention such as part P and attitudes like yours that means that cowboy electricians will have plenty of work to do in future.

I don't follow.
The whole idea behind part P is to stop non competent people carrying out electrical work.

Attitudes like mine?
I told you that you are not going to be able to to carry out the work you wish to safely your self, and advised you to employ an electrician.

Now unless you and others of your 'how hard can it be' mindset, all rush out and employ a 'cowboy' electrician to save a couple of quid, then this too will not provide the 'cowboys' with "plenty of work"

Oh when I go cycling I do not wear an helmet do you wish to report that to the safety police as well

No.
It is not against the law to not wear a cycling helmet, just stupid.

Mr. T Hosser

Who?

Clearly if someone of your obvious limit intelligence can understand the circuit then I will have no problem once I have had it explained to me. I only need it explaining once. I am not looking to learn schedule 16

Why am I of "obvious limited intelligence"?
Is it because I will not advise you on how to carry out some electrical work, for which you are not skilled enough to carry out?
I am advising you to to get a professional for your own safety.

You need to be able to understand how and why the circuit is wired how it is, and does what it does. You cannot carry out electrical work by 'red wire to terminal 1' etc.

What is schedule 16?

Have I misunderstood the title of this web site then? I thought it was for DIY.

What I mean about getting an electrician, plumber or builder for that matter is that, other than Cowboys, no professional companies I have ever contacted are prepared to call, as the job is too small for them to bother to call out to. I am sure if you were quoted £150 to change your oil in your car you would also think twice.

The alternative I have is to employ the cowboy or do the job myself.

Rather than have a poorly educated cowboy electrician in my home I feel I am more likely to take more care than they are as I will have to live with the consequences. Fortunately I have an above average IQ and am competent in my abilities. So, unless all electricians are of higher intelligence, something I know for a fact is not true then there is no reason, if I have the wiring explained to me, that I will not be able to carry out this work safely, is there?

So of course I am out of my depth but I was thus so in water until I learned to swim.

Are you really so naive that you think the government interfering in what people do in their own homes will have any real positive impact?

So off to find another source for this scared knowledge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back