Bathroom light and extractor fan won't switch off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping for a pointer here. I'm not an electrician and can just about change a fuse so bear with me.

My wife was cleaning the downstairs batchroom when she heard a bang. The light and extractor fan went off. After checking the bulb, I replaced the 3A fuse in the switch. All came back to life and everything (I thought was good in the world).

When I came down in the next morning, the batchroom light and extractor fan were both on (they were definitely off when we went to bed)and wouldn't switch off using the pull cord. They go off when I turn off the fused switch.

I assumed it was a problem with the ceiling pull cord switch so I replaced it today. No difference! Any ideas what I could check for next before I call in a spark?

Many thanks...

Sponsored Links
Can only guess but I would suspect the SCR or other electronic component in the fan which allows it to run on has gone permanent closed circuit.

In real terms only cure would be replace the fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back