Bathroom Light Switch Replacement - Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Just joined, first post !

Have what im sure is a simple question but cannot find the answer. The Pull cord light switch in my bathroom broke so took the whole fitting off the ceiling as it was old/dirty anyway.

The missus bought a new one and upon checking it out, there are two connection points - one called L2 and one called COM. I have a red, a black and a bare cut back cable hanging from the ceiling where the old one used to be - what one goes where??!!

I don't want to blow anything up so haven't yet fitted - bathroom has been dark for three days!! lol

Any help appreciated, i work most days so don't have much daylight in which to fix this - nightmare!!

Many thanks in advance

Sy :oops:

Sponsored Links
red=com
black=L1
but it realy makes no difference, the worst you could do is connect them into the same terminal then your light would stay on......

AR

apprecite your quick reply mate, i shall give it a go today! as you can tell im not a diy kinda guy....computers no problem!!!

thanks again
sy

supersparks said:
... the worst you could do is connect them into the same terminal then your light would stay on

He has 3 wires, including one which is bare.

If he puts all 3 into one terminal the worst he can do is to connect live to earth..... :eek:

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
supersparks said:
... the worst you could do is connect them into the same terminal then your light would stay on

He has 3 wires, including one which is bare.

If he puts all 3 into one terminal the worst he can do is to connect live to earth..... :eek:
hopefullyhe isnt that stupid.....everyone knows that bare is earth.....right :eek:

AR

not quite that stupid thank god! all connected up and working a treat, thanks for the advise from a diy novice!

cheers

sy

A sound piece of advice - Bathrooms are classed as High Shock Electrocution Risk by BS7671:2001 wiring regs, if in any doubt at all about any wiring in the bathroom, get a suitable professional electrician - it could save your life. :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back