Bathroom light wont switch off.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I just signed up to the forums and already need advice lol.

Last night my partner went to the bathroom and blew the light, so I changed the bulb over and the light wont turn off.

I checked the pullcord all wires are connected the spring is functioning aswell.

Next I checked the actual light fitting, all the wires are correctly wired as it has been working for the past 4 years with no issues.

I noticed one of the wires had burnt through its casing and was wondering if this is could be the issue.

My partner is picking me up a new fitting while she is out today so going to change it either way but wanted some advice.

We are council tenants atm and I did try and contact the repairs line however they are closed until Thursday for staff training.

I am competent enough to change a fitting or switch but wouldnt go any further into electrics than that, and if needs be I would call a professional in.

Ive attached a photo of the wiring.

also we have just had the bathroom tiled and a new shower fitted but when we got the tiling done the tilers covered the old extraction. and now the bathroom gets pretty steamy so could this also be an issue?

Thanks in advance guys.

Sponsored Links
The burnt mark and exposed copper on the red wire is not good and may be the reason the lamp stayed on when the cover was on the rose. Is there a matching mark on the black or brown wires in the right hand terminals ?

Did the lamp stay on when the cover on the ceiling rose was removed ? If it did then the switch is the most likely cause of the light staying on.

When the lamp blew it could have allowed a very high current to pass for a split second and this can weld the switch contacts in the ON position.

Does the switch feel different, maybe no longer clicking when operated.

The burnt mark and exposed copper on the red wire is not good and may be the reason the lamp stayed on when the cover was on the rose. Is there a matching mark on the black or brown wires in the right hand terminals ?

Did the lamp stay on when the cover on the ceiling rose was removed ? If it did then the switch is the most likely cause of the light staying on.

When the lamp blew it could have allowed a very high current to pass for a split second and this can weld the switch contacts in the ON position.

Does the switch feel different, maybe no longer clicking when operated.

I will go and inspect the black and brown now. I will also check if the light stays on with the rose removed, I always turn electrics off when removing anything so didnt check that.

Its a pull cord in the bathroom however it feels the same as it always has done with a click when it gets pulled, I did take it apart and everything in the switch is operating correctly.

I'll check the wiring and see if the light is off when the rose is detached.

Thanks,
Aaron

Thanks bernard, I just checked the brown and black wires and there is no sign of burns, I checked the light with the rose detached and it switches on and off now. I have now screwed the rose back on and it is working fine again.

Should this be fine or should I still call somebody in to have a look at the wiring?

---
Edit: I just screwed it back to the ceiling and it wouldnt turn back off so I unscrewed it as I was unscrewing the bulb blew, I removed the rose fitting and there was a little bit of smoke, and now more burn marks.

It looked like the exposed wire where the original burn was, was touching a screw on the rose fitting.

I'm just going to phone in somebody as this has got me a bit paranoid lol.

Sponsored Links
Yes I would get someone from the landlord who to look at the wiring in the ceiling rose.

I just screwed it back to the ceiling and it wouldnt turn back off so I unscrewed it as I was unscrewing the bulb blew, I removed the rose fitting and there was a little bit of smoke, and now more burn marks.

It looked like the exposed wire where the original burn was, was touching a screw on the rose fitting.

I'm just going to phone in somebody as this has got me a bit paranoid lol.

Thanks for the advice :) appreciate it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back