Bathroom pull cord change to switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking at changing the current pull cord that controls the light and extractor fan, which is currently inside the bathroom, to a switch outside the bathroom.

Up in the loft, I can see where the pull cord white twin core cable goes through the roof.

So my plan was to take this cable, extend it somehow, then feed it in between the stud walls to a light switch.

I was going to buy a set of electrician's 'fishing rods' to aid in feeding the cable down the wall, but I would imagine this is a pita.

Also a stud finder, as I've borrowed a friend's before which just gave false indications all the time.

What is the recognised way of joining cables together in the loft? Can I just use a junction box with the terminal connectors inside?

I've never done this before, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

KP

Sponsored Links
Studs aren't your issue, it's noggins that are your enemy. What you'll probably find you have to do, is drill a hole in the top of the stud wall, push (a) rod(s) down until you hit a noggin. Measure this distance downstairs. Cut a hole in the plasterboard (the squarer the better) at that distance, you should then be able to see the noggin, make a hole in it, and repeat - depending on how many noggins there turn out to be.

You can use any form of junction box in the loft, if it's just a switch live, permanent live and earth you're taking to the switch, I would just use a chocbox.

Thanks.

Are steel fish tapes just as good as rods?

Trying to assemble all the bits I'll need when I go down Screwfix!

I was looking at an alternative, which is just to replace the pull cord for a PIR?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Well, I am looking more at a PIR idea now, as it would be a hell of a lot less work.

Looking at one of these flush style PIRs:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-indoor-ceiling-flush-pir/47121

This would mean it would protrude through into the loft. I know with the recessed spot lights you have to be careful about putting loft insulation on top, but PIRs I guess don't get hot like lights do?

I REALLY hate PIRs in bathrooms.

You get in your bath, all nice and foamy, glass of wine on one side, open your book and start reading.

Two minutes later you are plunged into darkness and have to leap to your feet so that the PIR knows you are still there.

You settle down, read another half a page ………………………it goes dark…………………..repeat this charade until you realise that the PIR was a really dumb idea.

Don't bother with the PIR in the bathroom. You will find you are not in control anymore. The PIR will near enough rule your life!

People do prefer the switch outside on the wall now, though you may find people will turn it off when you're in the bathroom.

If your current light switches are at the old fashioned standard height, you shouldn't experience any noggins, except the 'plate' at the very top of the wall.

Noggins are typically positioned at 1200mm from the floor, so if your switches are at the modern invalid height you may experience a noggin.

Is there insulation in the wall? Typically there will be, but this depends on the age of the house and who built it.

Fishing rods will help. But you could use a length of small oval PVC conduit, or a length of string with a weight if no insulation.

You can extend the cable with a 20 amp junction box, or if you like replace the whole length of that cable.

Whatever is easiest for you really.

Nothing, but the missus is whinging about it.

I hate switches outside bathrooms or any other room for that matter. In all three houses that I have owned the bathroom switches were outside and one of the first jobs I did in each was replace them with pull switches inside.

If I was to buy your house in the future I would do the same there as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back