Bathroom pull switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a new pull switch for the bathroom - which is slightly different to the old one and I'm having the world's biggest nightmare with the earths - I can't get them in - the little hole in the new switch is too small - or so it seems. Is there any top tips? Do they have to go into the switch housing or can I put them in a block connector?

Just want to check as well - brown goes to L1 and blue with brown sleeve to common?

Sponsored Links
Ahh fab, thank you. My fingers are wrecked trying to get the two earths into that one little hole - it's not very forgiving cable!

I'll swap the other wires over as well.

What size cable is it? What's it for, and what is the rating of the new switch?

Sponsored Links
It's the bathroom light switch - it's a 6amp pull switch I got. I'm not sure what size the cable is - I just know it's a sod to try and work with.

Lighting circuit cables are normally 1.0mm² or 1.5mm², (don't need anything larger than 1.0mm²).

Neither are difficult to work with.

Photos?

Supplementary bonding conductor in there as well?

No idea to be honest - it was just the holes in the terminals were so small, I couldn't get the two earths into the one hole. Joined them with choccie block connector. Had the spark in about putting in an RCD for the shower as there isn't one and he checked it and said it was fine.

Something unusual is going on - 1/1.5mm² cables both have a 1mm² earth conductor. That's just over 1mm in diameter.

One earth wire was just single strand copper but the other is really thick, multi strand - sorry I'm not being very technical but all I know is that it wouldn't go into the terminal on the switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back