Bathroom RCDs and FCUs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
I posted a question a few days ago, and everyone was really helpful, hopefully you can offer some more guidance.

I am preparing for a forthcoming re-wire as part of the renovation of my house. I am in the process of mounting back boxes in the required locations in readiness.

The bathroom will have electric underfloor heating, ceiling fan, shaver socket and heated mirror pad (all of which will be connected up by the electrican not myself). My question is, will all four of these need FCUs (in the landing not the bathroom). Do they also need RCDs?

I would like to state (before I get shot down), that I am not designing the wiring, laying any wiring or connecting any wiring .... purely designing room layouts and mounting back boxes in suitable locations.

Any guidance appreciated.

M

Sponsored Links
My question is, will all four of these need FCUs (in the landing not the bathroom). Do they also need RCDs?
The only person who can answer that is the one who you'll be expecting to certify the design work as being his, i.e. your electrician.

Strange answer, I would have thought it was a fairly basic question for any electrician.
Oh well, I will wait on my the electrician on this one then, before installing the back boxes.

Thanks for your help.

I would like to state (before I get shot down), that I am not designing the wiring, laying any wiring or connecting any wiring .... purely designing room layouts and mounting back boxes in suitable locations.
M
I don't think anyone is actually shooting you down because of your desire to reduce costs by doing some of the work yourself.
But you are deluding yourself if you think that you arbitarily first fixing the backboxes is not designing the circuit, since the location of these boxes will dictate the wiring runs etc. Your cause is not helped by your questions regarding FCU's and RCD's - which gives people the perception that you are doing this work yourself.
Wait until your electrician comes back from holiday and agree with him the exact location of each box - what its function will be and how it fits in with the overall design of the circuit.

Sponsored Links
FYI.

If your cu is being upgraded to full rcd protection on all circuits (which it should be) nothing will need additional rcd protection.

I would like to state (before I get shot down), that I am not designing the wiring, laying any wiring or connecting any wiring .... purely designing room layouts and mounting back boxes in suitable locations

Yes as has been said your desire to keep costs down is completely understandable and in addition to what has already been said, the more work you do in terms of putting backing boxes in the more difficulty you may have in finding an electrician willing to do the work. Some may opt out by perceiving what you have done is part of the design, some may opt out because sometimes having backing boxes in the wall before the wiring is run just makes it more difficult.

The best advice I can think of offering is get the electrician in asap and as him/her what (if anything) they would find acceptable for you to do. Keep in mind that in a rewire an electrician must "design" the installation. That design stage has become much more prominent in recent years due to quite rigorous inspection & testing requirements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back