Bathroom re-fit – Order of work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m re-fitting my bathroom completely and want some ideas on which order should the different jobs be carried out.

Here is a list of things that need doing.

Installing new floor boards (water resistant chipboard)
New pipe work for the new suit
Installation of new suit
Fully re-tiling of the walls
Installing vinyl flooring

I understand that it would look better to tile behind the pan and basin first and then install the pan and basin. But how about the bath, do I need to get the bath fitted first and then tile over the bath and the rest of the bathroom and then get the pan and basin installed?

Sponsored Links
Just doing mine and as I'm not very confident of my plumbing skills
I trial fitted the loo, basin,bath , rad and shower made sure they all worked and then removed them and tiled the floor and shower. You should tile around the bath after it's fitted but put your vinyl down first

Think about the details.
Vinyl cut round a loo looks crap.
Ditto for tiles cut round many a basin.
Paint the ceiling early not late.
Plan to hide the pipes for the basin inside the pedestal - looks much better.
If you put the bath in before the tiles, you can find you can't get the bath panel off, so maybe one end wall has to be tiled first.
You'll need your loo all through, so trying it soon, then removing it, is a good idea.
If you take it in and out a few times, use a fresh connector the last time. They're cheap and can be a nightmare if they leak.

If you write it all on a big sheet of paper (pc, obviously) with ALL the details in, and go over it a couple of times in the days before you start, it'll save you a lot of grief.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back