Bathroom Walls - Removing tiles, plaster falling away

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

First post, so go easy :)

I've just started removing the old tiles from our bathroom and it's bringing a fair amount of the top layer of plaster down (mostly on the bottom half of the wall). It's not too deep and there's no movement in the layer below.

The plan is to re-tile everything floor to ceiling as it was. Am I ok to remove all loose areas of the top layer and then patch with ready mix plaster repair? I'm not adverse to fixing tile backing board instead if it makes any difference.

View media item 87442
Thoughts and help appreciated!

Simon

Sponsored Links
Patch it in with the tile adhesive!! As long as the background is firm and you can roughly screed the adhesive from old wall to old wall .

You were going to have to plaster it any way , then put your adhesive on it. So if you fill the areas that have come off (as long as they are solid like you say) out with tile adhesive and screed it level with the existing plaster it will save you the time of having to wait for plaster to dry before you can tile it,,, ;) leave the adhesive for a day or over night then check it has firmed up then spread your tile adhesive on top
and tile..Also use good quality tile adhesive ie. Bal or mapei and the same with the grout, not your b and q stuff lf you have some deep areas you can bed some tiles into the adhesive to fill it out, as long as they dont come above your existing plaster....

;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Having just removed the area around the bath/shower it's back to the same level of render and all solid. Thoughts on best approach here? It's a gravity fed shower and used twice a day max.

Should I be looking at getting this area properly skimmed and tanked or would something like Marmox board be a good option?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back