bathroom windows proximity to neighbour's wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
We've got our eyes on a house but hasn't got bathroom windows, only extractor fans.
Can I ask if anyone knows if we could get permission to fit windows (obscure glazing) to an external wall as per pictures, please?
Haven't got a clue what the building regulations are and the council wouldn't tell us as it's not our property.
Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
To be permitted development (ie not needing a specific planning permission), an upper-floor side-facing window has to be glazed in obscure glass, and have a top opener at least 1700mm above the floor.

But it is possible that the council has removed permitted development rights, and that planning permission would then be needed.

Aside from Planning issues, Building Regulations would restrict the area of such a window to 1 sq. m, as it is very close to the boundary (fire hazard).

I had a bathroom in a similar new build, provided the extractor was used, condensation etc was never an issue anyway I'd just ring planning again and remind them that asking if the property has restricted permitted development rights and if necessary remind them that this information is within the public domain meaning they have no right to withhold it.

Sponsored Links
Just curious; how did the council know, (and why would they care)
Because the OP told them it wasn't their property presumably and the spineless little turd on the planning desk that day was as ill informed as usual probably.

the spineless little turd on the planning desk that day was as ill informed as usual probably.

So you've finally seen the light. :)
Whilst your applications clearly have a hard time and in conclusion must be lacking something, mine generally get through ok, but I will concede that.there are often Muppets on the desk facing the public.

Just count yourself lucky that you operate somewhere that still has a 'desk'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back