Bathroom woodwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to make a small tiled shelf at the end of the bath tub, as well as a bath panel that I would like to be tongue and groove.

Is there any particular wood I should be using? And should it need any sort of treating?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
So do you want to see the t&g boards from underneath, or you wanting to tile over/under as it were? ...pinenot :confused:

So it will be tiled on the top face and just sealed underneath, is that correct...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
The little shelf will be tiled on to hardibacker. Then the bath panel will run underneat from the end of the shelf to the other end of the bath in T&G.

Your answers are not very clear, I don't understand how you can "Tile" a wooden shelf onto a backer board, perhaps it's just me. However Perhaps it would be best to right back to your original question (what kind of wood) unless your going to use teak, and even then there would be movement problems, so_ any wood will move under constant moisture increase i.e. steam from a bath, and as the tiles will remain fairly rigid, cracking and breakup will eventually follow unless you can incorporate a separator between timber and tiles.ô
Sorry if that' not what you want to hear, but that' the way the cookie crumbles...pinenot :(

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I need to make a tiled 'shelf' at the end of the bath to the wall. On top of the wooden frame I'll lay hardibacker then tile. Does that wood need to be a certain type and/or treated?

Then I want to put a t&g panel all along under the bath to the opposite wall.

Does this need to be a certain wood, again treated or not? This will end up being painted with satin white.

Well as I said the shelf, moisture rising to the underside will swell the wood, treated, sealed with paint (microporous or otherwise) whilst the upper surface will remain almost unmoving. The said if you don't glue the backer board to the wooden shelf, this shouldn't create a problem. I personally wouldn't necessarly opt for treated wood, but what wood do you have in mind?
The under bath_rim (called a bath panel) you can use almost any wood. I used Mahogany (so called) t&g "V" lining varnished and it both looked good and lasted, ten years at least, and unless it was removed that would mean its some twenty years old now...pinenot :)

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I need to make a tiled 'shelf' at the end of the bath to the wall. On top of the wooden frame I'll lay hardibacker then tile. Does that wood need to be a certain type and/or treated?

Then I want to put a t&g panel all along under the bath to the opposite wall.

Does this need to be a certain wood, again treated or not? This will end up being painted with satin white.
Think he means a tiled step?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back