Battery warning light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any member/s help me with the following problem I have encountered.
I have a P reg 4dr hatchback Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 which I have had in my garage unused since 2009. It was originally my sons car but unfortunately he has had to give up driving. It has only done 23,000 miles and I am thinking of using it as a second runaround. I replaced the battery the engine started on the second turn of the ignition and appears to idle okay however, when I turned the ignition off and removed the key the battery warning light remained ON. I have since removed the battery but would like to know why this is happening. I would really welcome any advice before proceeding further. Thank you.
easyrider.

Sponsored Links
It's usually due to an alternator fault - in particular the rectifier pack that converts AC to DC which suits the battery.
If you disconnect the plug from the back of the alternator, the lamp should go out.
John :)

How long did you run the engine for?
May just need a good warm up to get rid of any moisture present that may be in the alternator.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks Burnerman for your helpful advice if I find I can't rectify the fault after trying running the engine for longer as suggested by ch427 I will do as you suggest. Thanks also to ch427, in fairness I did only run the engine for a very short while possible as you say not long enough to clear any moisture that was present. Thanks

Back