Baumatic Cooker tripping Mains fuse intermittently HELP Pls

Hmmm so the fun continues then :rolleyes:
A couple of posts back, Zipper said that your cooker wiring insulation should be 'Meggered' .....in fact thats absolutely right. A Megger is a device that tests the wiring insulation, using a much higher voltage than usual - so even the slightest leak to earth shows up. Most sparkies have one.
If the grill was used without the fan, it would get very hot indeed, and eventually burn the element out, if an overheat switch didn't calm things down - hence the fan! A commutator is part of a motor so that would indicate that the fan motor has been replaced again.
I would have been happier if the engineer had checked the connections in the wall switch and also where the wire from the switch enters the cooker. Maybe he did? Anyway, if they are slack they could spark and maybe set the trip off.
So - maybe they found the fault without realising it, or maybe they didn't......its going to return though, I fear :( Keep us posted?
John :)
PS Whats Levis Caribbean chilli beef?

Sponsored Links
thanks again John, it's a horrible feeling heading towards Christmas with this feeling that it will let me down over the holidays when I'm having my first friends to stay for ages. Not sure what the engineer tested yesterday. If he did anything he was quick ..... as he was only alone for a few minutes then I was with him and all that occured was switching on/off and lots of standing around ...... when I asked if he had tested the element he said he had, he did have the back off

Everytime I walk past it I switch it on and off, no problem. I just wish it would blow up, then I would know where I stood. It could be OK between now and the 24th ..... What was quite funny yesterday, when the engineer was sort of implying there was now not a problem I reminded him it had obligingly tripped when he was there before and it had gone again the same evening last week after he had fitted the second new switch.

His reply was that "Arh, but I haven't seen it myself since the new switch was fitted ......." Not sure if he was implying I would have Baumatic call him back for fun, or company or just because I'm a little bit mad .....

Now Levis Caribbean chilli beef ..... Don't want to be accused of advertising, and I am not related or stand to profit at all, :cool: but Levi is a Rastafarian who was on Dragons Den looking for funding for a range of soul food cooking sauces and ready meals. Can't remember if they offered him nothing or only a small amount, but he went it alone and his stuff is fab if you like unusual spicy food. Such a change from Indian or Chinese. Sold at the moment exclusively through Tescos. A good move on their part, as I was a Sainsburys / Asda girl but now order from Tesco just to stock up on Levis chilli beef and hot prawn curry Yum Yum :p

Back to the cooker ... I do feel sort of stranded between my electrician who I totally trust but who doesn't do appliance repairs and the cooker engineer who doesn't do wiring

Hello again!
I think it would be a good idea to let the oven temperature stabilise for a while.....if it was on for the time it took to do a baked potato for example you could hopefully be reassured if the oven behaved itself - nothing like continuous testing!
If the cooker is on its own dedicated breaker, your electrician friend could check the connections within the consumer unit for tightness if he hasn't already done so, and if that is completely faultless then its back to the cooker once more.
Fingers crossed for you!
Thanks for the Levi's beef info - I've never come across it before which is strange because most of my shopping is done in Tesco's......unless it hasn't go this far North yet! I'll keep hunting and see what I think.
Regards
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back