Baxi 105e external expansion chamber.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, The pressure on this boiler keeps going down, I have had 3 plumbers look at it and they all say it needs a new expansion chamber, but none of them seem to want to do the job, I have had several excuses but it still needs doing. It was suggested by one of them that it needs an external one fitted . I have done a bit of plumbing in the past, is it a job I could do ? . If so whats involved and do I have to do anything to the existing internal chamber in the boiler. Any help much appreciated. Regards TV man .

Sponsored Links
the existing expansion vessel on that boiler is at the rear of the boiler and a pain to replace. it will have an air valve on it like a car tyre valve if you try to let air out of it and water comes out it is shot at .it can be left in place and replaced with a standard expansion vessel. on combi's they are on the small side. it would be best to fit an 18ltr vessel next to boiler by teeing into the return pipe on the heating.

If you remove the cross member bracket off the top of the boiler at the back, it is easy to access the valve to check the EV.

See FAQ's on here for a step by step guide on how to do it.

Have a check in the instruction manual, I think this may use the expansion vessel as the preheat chamber for the water and it's a sod to change if there is no clearance above the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your input, I have ordered an 18 litre external unit. I assume I dont have to do anything to the boiler after fitting it, Regards TV man.

The 105 instants are a bit of a sod, very tight with the polystyrene insulation and the 2 awkward connections.

But the standard 105e isn't bad. The horizontal flue needs to pushed back through the wall, but providing there is the minimum 200mm space above the boiler, it comes out easy enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back