Baxi Bermuda Front Fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I need some advice about my Baxi Bermuda GF Super front fire.

The problem was that when I pushed the ignition button, it lit, but as soon I let go, the pilot light went out. This was even if I held it for ages.

I recently had the back boiler serviced by British Gas. He said the front fire was not covered by my service agreement. He also showed me that the coalbed had broken in half, suggesting this was the problem. I think the coalbed had been broken before it started being faulty.

I suppose what I want to know is what would cause the fire not to light. Do I need to buy an expensive new coalbed for a very old fire? Can it be glued or repaired?

I should mention that he seems to have stopped the gas to the fire, possibly for safety reasons. I have heard that it could be difficult getting a gas fitter to come out, just to repair a fire.

Thanks for any advice about this.

Sponsored Links
The coal bed wont cause the fire not to light, the coal bed is obsolete so ebay is probably your best bet , without testing it I would hazard a guess at the asd needs changing, it shouldent be to difficult to find someone to fix your fire.

Your main problem is having a BG contract.
the second problem is that the fitter is almost certainly wrong, the contract DOES cover the (combined) . Having done some BG contract work recently, i can tell you that I replaced several BB fire components on the contract.Or do you mean there is an excess to pay?

I agree with fireman, when I was at BG the fire front was covered, only decorative items were not i.e. bulbs or bits of trim but the coal bed would certainly have been covered, must add I have been away from BG for a while though

Sponsored Links
the firefront has to be covered, it's an integral part of the overall appliance, i.e. the boiler can't be used without the firefront, and the firefront cannot be gas disconnected outside the appliance without also disconnecting the boiler as they share the same gas inlet

the valve which allows the firefront to be removed during servicing leaving the boiler with live gas is internal to the appliance and is not intended to be used as a means of capping off the fire.

Hi
My service agreement is only the basic (cheapest) one, the Boiler and Safety Annual Service. Labour charges for the repair were quoted as £80 the first half hour, then £199 for any time up to three hours.
If I try to get someone else to do it, will he have the parts? I don't suppose I can order the parts in advance, without knowing what is causing it not to light.
Thanks for the helpful comments so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back