Baxi Bermuda heat exchange leaking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been getting the fire and boiler serviced, and the plumber apparently thinks the heat exchanger is leaking, by seeing tell tale water marks on the burner.

Is there any way I can check this myself before getting any work done?
(I'm not qualified to dismantle anything)

Also checked with a local supplier, is a "t kit" needed to fit the exchange as he said the heat exchange itself, and if a t kit was also needed?

besides the other "T kit" involving a kettle, tea bag, milk sugar etc..

Sponsored Links
Any work in the home should be accompanied by an offer of coffee or tea.

Anyone who does not offer those to me gets an "NC" marking on the invoice!

It is not possible for you to do your own diagnosis. But a photo of what he saw would have been useful.

But if he left it working then it could not have been leaking as we are required to turn it off if the heat exchanger is leaking.

It is possible to change them, but takes about two hours and is not a job relished by most engineers. In any case it is so old and inefficient that there is no argument for repairing it when the cost of replacement is only about £1000 more.

I suspect he was just fishing for fitting a new boiler. Did he give you a quote?

Tony

With the rain we have been having it could just be water coming own the flue. I find it a bit suspicious he didn't show you the leak, the only way you can see for yourself is to get a gas engineer in to take of the fire-front, it's not something you can do yourself.

i wouldn't ever replace a heat exchanger on a back boiler. Just bite the bullet and get a new, much more efficient, boiler.

The Baxi 552 back boiler has a heat exchanger which is in 2 halves with a gasket sealing between the 2 halves. The gaskets are not expensive. £10.99 on eBay. Quite a big job though.
I have a 552 in a let property and the gasket went. My engineer felt it was worth repairing.

andytw

Sponsored Links
If it was leaking you would probably hear the tell tale hiss of boiling water as it drips onto the hot bits.

"Staining" could be from an old leak, water in the flue from bad weather, condensation from when the boiler starts up from cold (very common)

If he cant see a leak then I would leave alone, if it becomes evident that its leaking, I would 2nd the above and just get a new boiler, as the hex in these is expensive and time consuming, agiles 2hours for replacing one I would think is being generous, as with some seized bolts and a few restricted pipes in the system could easily be a whole day from first draining to having it filled/vented/running agian.

Thanks everyone for the replies;

PotatoHead & Agile,
I had to leave the keys with a neighbour to let him in as i was at work, unfortunatly no he didbnt take pics.

I'm not keen on a new boiler as the house doesn't really lend itself to accomodating a new system.
the only possible place was next to the back door, where an unfavourable easterly wind would blow the exhaust fumes into an open door.
I'll check with someone to see if I can get a new boiler in the loft... fingers x'd

Ask a couple of engineers for a quote, when they come round tell them you've been told the back boiler is leaking and offer a tenner if they will remove the fire to check. You might find someone willing to oblige.

There's no problem with a boiler in the loft, just make sure it's suitable boarded, lit up and has a permanent ladder in place. You could also fit a plume management to divert the fumes above the back door opening for the preferred place downstairs.

At the moment I have no reason to conclude that it really is leaking!

As a matter of interest do BG replace the HEs on these under their boiler cover?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back