Baxi Combo Boiler VERY noisey.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if anyone can help me. I got a Baxi Combo boiler about 8 years old. It is serviced by BG yearly. 3 days ago it started making a popping and banging noise when the hot water was run. I have homecare, and phoned them, they said it sounds like lime scale in the heat exchanger and this was not covered and they could come and quote me on 14th Jan. Now it is getting worse, it is doing it when the heating is on, it is when it gets up to temp, looking at the LEDs it goes up to about 70C then starts this noise, it is so loud and you can hear it thought all the rads in the house, I have turned the temp controls down for both hot water and heating and this has helped, but now the hot water form the tap is not hot enough really.

Looking online there are two heat exchangers, what would the rough cost be of replacing? The BG girl said around £500

How much work is involved for someone to change these?

It is driving me mad at the moment, and BG cant do anything until Mid Jan.

Please help.

Cheers,
Will

Sponsored Links
Call them back and demand a visit a tellephone operator is not qualified to diagnose a problem over the phone you may have a faulty stat or something else the guy can tell you when he visits even if it turns out to be scale

Thanks, I've been onto them, apparently they spoke to the last engineer that was here (4 weeks ago the PCB died) and he confirmed scale build up and the whole thing is chargeable.

What a bunch of crooks. Will it do any damage this banging and cracking each time the boiler is fired up? They say as it has not broke down, I have to wait till Mid Jan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back