Baxi Solo 3 - no ignition (no clicking sound)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I have a Baxi Solo 3 which is not igniting. There is no 'clicking' sound when the power is switched on. The 'Boiler On' and 'Pilot on' lights are on, but the 'Fan On' and 'Burner On' lights are both off. I've been able to sort out most of the issues on this boiler in the past (I've replaced the fan, ignition module and re-soldered a dry joint on the PCB over the years), but this one has me stumped. I've looked at the PCB, and all the joints look perfect (one did look suspect so I added a bit of solder to it just in case - but no joy!).

Would the fan need to be running first before the boiler tries to ignite (click) and thus the fan could be at fault? Even though I replaced the fan probably about 8/9 years ago, I have sprayed a bit of WD40 on it and tried to 'kick-start' it manually, but nothing. But as above, does the fan start working AFTER the boiler has ignited, or is it the the running of the fan first that will allow the sequence continue and lead to ignition?

I think I replaced the ignition unit about 4/5 years ago.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to give as much detail as I can! Many thanks! :)

Dublin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No, and for that reason, I'm not even going to touch anything that is actually 'gas' related (if it's valves, sensors or anything actually relating to the actual gas, I'll be putting down my tools, stepping backawards away from the boiler and picking up the phone instead!), but anything electronic related, I will certainly prefer to have a look at first. As I said, I once resoldered a dry joint on the PCB, and that has lasted a good 5/6 years since, as dealing with electronics is definitely something I am more than comfortable with. The boiler is also serviced every year by a registered engineer: I have a very thick line between what I am willing (or able!) to do myself and what I am aware needs to be left to an expert! ;)

You shouldn't be fannying around in the combustion chamber then (y)
Well you're of course entitled to your opinion, but as you've never met me and have thus no idea of my own capabilities or experience: I think I'll rely on my own intelligence and intuition to determine what is or isn't safe for me to 'fanny' around with. (y)

ARSECATI , ( QUOTE )
Well you're of course entitled to your opinion, but as you've never met me and have thus no idea of my own capabilities or experience: I think I'll rely on my own intelligence and intuition to determine what is or isn't safe for me to 'fanny' around with. (y)

So what checks did you perform after your fidddling with the P.C.B ?

So what checks did you perform after your fidddling with the P.C.B ?

What do you mean? I can't remember what the fault was back then that lead me to inspecting the PCB, but when I 'fiddled' with it the first time 5 or 6 years ago (it's actually called soldering, not fiddling, but I'll let you off! ;) ), it clicked in to life straight away and has worked flawlessly since: the boiler also benefitting from a further 5 or 6 services by a registered engineer since then also. This time, my inspection of the PCB didn't reveal anything obvious in the way of dry-joints (a common issue I am lead to believe with these PCB's), but I am still clearly aware that the fault could be deeper within the PCB than just a dry-joint, and I may still need to replace it. However, the question I originally posed is thus to try then establish a process of elimination, which is no different to what any other engineer or installer would do: I'd rather waste my own time eliminating some of the possibilities that I am capable of doing so myself, than waste money on labour charges to someone who is going to embark on the exact same process before landing on the issue.

This isn't a dig at engineers, as I've repeatedly said - I get my boilers serviced every year by registered engineers without a second thought. But I don't think it is is unreasonable for me to try reduce the x amount of hours labour charge, when 80% of that x amount was spent going through an elimination process trying to find the actual problem! :/

yh well a gas engineer should be able to tell you what the problem is , if it is what I think it is it wouldn't take an engineer long to test and find the cause (y)

yh well a gas engineer should be able to tell you what the problem is , if it is what I think it is it wouldn't take an engineer long to test and find the cause (y)

But you're not going to tell me, because obviously it's a secret that only members of your club are allowed to know? So instead of saying what you think it is, and then allowing me to make my own determination of whether it's beyond my capabilities or not, you'd just prefer I blindly give money to one of your brothers instead, regardless of whether I can easily tackle the job myself or not?

It really would be great, that if you are unable or unwilling to actually assist in answering my specific question, that you please just say nothing at all. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back