Baxi Solo 50RS - reposition thermocouple/pilot injector?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a Baxi Solo 50RS that I just need to last a few more months until I've got the money to replace it.
Pilot light keeps going out and most of the time won't stay on when I relight it. I've tested the thermocouple by disconnecting it and holding a lighter to it while lighting the pilot and the pilot stays on no problem. I'm assuming therefore that the thermocouple isn't properly positioned close enough to the pilot light when fitted in the boiler...but I'm not sure how I can reposition it.

I'd really like to be able to sort this without having to open the combustion chamber as that involves disconnecting the gas supply and I'm not experienced enough to mess with that.

Any advice on how I can reposition the thermocouple or pilot injector (or bend the thermocouple??) would be VERY much appreciated.

Hope that's enough detail...thanks in advance!

Ronnie

Sponsored Links
there are ways to increase/decrease the pilot, but thats RGI stuff ie Gas Safe Engineer. Even adjusting the pilot can cause high co levels if done wrong!!!

Sorry guys - are you saying that trying to correct the position of the thermocouple is potentially dangerous? I'd assumed that, since it's already not positioned correctly, the worst that would happen would be for it to continue to be out of position and therefore cause the pilot to keep going out.

Sponsored Links
I would argue that the t/c is postioned fine, as it has worked in the past.

Therefore something has probally happened to the pilot, ie chocked injector, gas valve etc etc.

As I said, this is RGI stuff. Do not attempt yourself. I was amazed how little adjusting of a pilot can cause the co levels to go off the scale on a fga.

Whatever you do, do not start bending things, re-postioning things. You will die!

OK. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully it won't cost too much to get someone out to clean the pilot injector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back