Bay window movement 1930s house... Advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we had just lost the sale of our house due to bay window movement. The movement isn't recent but the surveyor is requesting further reports the structural report was done , another report was done after that and now she is requesting further one of which involves drilling holes.

We are taking our house off the market to repair the pointing and fix the problem in order to sell. I don't want to go through this again so was wondering if anyone can recommend what would be the best way to do this. I have included pictures of the problem area.

[/code][code:1][/code:1]

Sponsored Links
Show me a pre-1950's bay window that hasn't got structural movement.

Often these bays were overlooked in terms of structural robustness and are often poorly tied in with poor foundations to boot. Couple that with the fact that they are sometimes on an elevation that is faced with large thermal changes and you have a recipe for structural movement. In particular when they may be moving differently to the rest of the house and that fact that they tend to be a weak part of the structure.

I'd be inclined to 'dress it up' and flog it rather than spend large sums - i.e. get some re-pointing done. Provided the market is buoyant then you don't have a problem. If you are thinking long term then you need to spend some serious dollar.

Hi

Thank you for your response. I think we are going to dress it up and sell. The surveyor is really being a pain. Along with the pointing you can see the window has moved a little.. I'm hoping a builder can sort that out too.

Once again thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back