bedding in cut tile on lead valley

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I had a broken tile (see below photo - the tile nearest the top of valley) which had slipped so my Dad pushed it back in under the ridge tile and put mortar underneath it to hold it in place. I thought this was fine until i came across info on internet saying you shouldn't put mortar directly onto lead due to lead being prone to thermal movement and that the mortar can prevent it expanding/contracting leading to the lead cracking.

I'm a bit worried now and wondering if this will be a problem (hoping not due to it only being 1 tile and not the whole lot down the valley).
Can anyone put my mind at rest?
Can try to take a photo tomorrow of the tile now that its been cemented in.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Also any lime in the cement might attack the lead.
I would not worry too much but if you want to change it use some leadmate or similar as it sticks like s++t to a blanket and is flexible.

Thanks. Wondering how tricky it would be taking off mortar without causing damage!

Sponsored Links
Emma, my own house (circa 1960) has had cement pointed lead valleys from its original build and there is no deterioration at all - so I wouldn't worry about yours!
Much better to have the openings filled in - so its a no go zone for birds and wasps etc.
If there is any differential movement of the materials due to expansion, you'll see a very fine crack between the lead and the mortar.
John :)

Aw thank you Burnerman. Knew i could rely on you to put my mind at rest!
When you mention 'If there is any differential movement of the materials due to expansion, you'll see a very fine crack between the lead and the mortar' do you mean you would get a crack in the lead itself as that was my main worry?
Cheers.

The mortar would part company with the lead, the lead would not crack.

Its all academic anyway as you do not have a bedded valley.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back