Bedding low profile stone resin capped shower tray on plinth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to install a 40mm, stone resin quadrant shower tray on a wood plinth and 18mm exterior plywood. My shower tray instructions say to bed the tray on a sand / cement mix but doesn't go into any detail.

Firstly, can anyone tell me if this needs to be a wet or dry mix? Also, would I need to prime the plywood with something to prevent it sucking any moisture out of mortar mix? I'm sure the mortar would just crumble without the plywood being primed. Any suggestions as to what product to use to prime it?

Also, how on earth am I going to put the shower tray onto the bed of mortar and get it level? Is there a tried and tested way of doing this? Sounds like I need a crane :)

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
There's no black art to doing this use good plywood 18mill I use exterior grade then prime it with waterproofer then wet mix mortar 4-1 about 1inch thick put the tray on it and push it down then use a level get it flat by pushing down once it's level leave it for a day you should have no probes all the very best good luck

Thanks for the info, can you suggest a product to waterproof the plywood? Its 18mm exterior grade. I've got some plasterboard primer for tiling, should I use that or is there a specific waterproofer for plywood?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Any old primer will do. Make sure you get it DEAD LEVEL or your shower doors will never work properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back