Bedroom floor: Chipboard flooring or plywood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need to replace one of our bedroom floors, which is currently chipboard. It's been cut and messed about with a fair bit, and wasn't laid properly by the previous owners in the first place, so I'm going to replace the lot.

I know people complain about chipboard, but is it really such a bad option for bedrooms? It's going to be carpeted, so I'm not concerned at all about it getting wet.

On the other hand I hear that plywood is better, but I can't find anywhere local that supplies T&G plywood. If it's just normal plywood sheet, how do I avoid getting squeaks at the joins? Not to mention the fact it's about twice the price of chipboard (Yes I know, you get what you pay for!)...

Sponsored Links
FWIW...there is nothing wrong with using chipboard for what you want to do. As you say, it's a heck of a lot cheaper. The experts on here will advise you further but I wouldn't be concerned about using chipboard in a bedroom - different story in 'wet' areas (as you have rightly pointed out)

Just IMHO though..

B

Thanks for the reply.

It seems the only reason we have squeaks at the moment is because it looks like the bottom of a biscuit barrel - it's been cut and put back down all over the place at different times!

On the other hand, would rather use ply than have problems with it squeaking again. Just not sure how to lay ply if it's not T&G either, as would have thought that would produce more squeaks if it's laid tightly together (there are heating pipes underneath the floor too).

Chipboard is an awful material, it belongs on the bonfire.

You can get T&G flooring ply. Look at it first as the surface may be very rough.

If you are lucky you may find hardwood faced ply which is smooth and good enough to stain and varnish.

Countersunk screws mean you can tighten it down if it starts to squeak once it has settled in.

If you use square edge ply it is essential to nog all short edges (but you should do that anyway) and it is easier and less disruptive if you need to take it up for wiring or plumbing.

Sponsored Links
Chipboard is an awful material, it belongs on the bonfire.

I agree it looks carp John but IMHO it has its uses especially as it is for a bedroom where the OP is putting carpet down on top. As you know, it will be considerably cheaper than ply.

Think it will come down to the OP's budget at the end of the day.

Regards,

B

I could stretch to buying ply if I had to, and if it's going to make a significant difference.

This is the key thing to me though. If I screw and glue chipboard, then will I notice any difference down the line from using plywood?

I'd like to save the cash if I can as the bedroom is in an extension over a garage, so I'm insulating the floor with Kingspan / Cellotex at the same time, so overall it's going to cost a fair bit of cash!

for a floor over a garage, mineral quilt will do a good job at lower cost. You can stuff it tight into the corners and edges, and it will blot draughts with no need for gap filling or precise cutting. Get the stuff treated with Ecose as it does not shed fibres and dust.

One of the reasons I hate chipboard is that it tends to crack, especially in high load or traffic areas such as doorways, in front of the sink, at the bottom of stairs, and under the legs of beds or appliances. It also seems to me to be noisier from people walking on it. It has quite a short life. Ply is far better, and I think more rigid.

It's been cut and messed about with a fair bit

It may have been cut and messed about with for access to wiring and pipework. Worth bearing this is mind when laying your replacement floor - will you be able easily to access services under the floor? I'd consider arranging it so that the relevant sections can be removed easily.

cheers
Richard

Thanks JohnD, I see your point about not taking weight too well. In that case, with likely heavy furniture in a bedroom I may go for the extra cost of ply then.

Gerald - some of it was our plumber, fitting new central heating pipes, so yes, good point, I need to mark those areas and make them accessible for later - cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back