Bedroom lights trip switch won't go back on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I was away and when I returned the lights in my basement bedroom wouldn't turn on. I had a look at the trip switch and it was down. However it won't go back on. When I push it back up it just goes straight down again. I have attached a picture of the box http://i.imgur.com/HgrTytk.jpg

Anyone know what the problem might be?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have a fault that won't allow it to switch on. Can you remove the front cover and take out the live conductor from the mcb, if you can see if the breaker switches on, if no the MCB is at fault
If it switches on you will have a fault. Is there any sign of damp?
While you have the conductor out unscrew the rose fitting on the lights to see if any cables are shorting together

Try these first, you can also try the lamp holders for loose connections

Hi, i would not advise you to attempt to do anything other than switch off all the lights in the basement at the switches and remove the light bulbs and then try re-setting the breaker.

If the breaker will not reset you may have a wiring fault.

The mcb could be faulty as it is made by Wylex and they had a issue with the that range of breakers.
Best get an electrician to check if it was one of the faulty batch .

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back