beeding radiator, new sealed system

gxr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had an old central heating system with lots of problems (e.g. bathroom radiator needed regular bleeding). Just had it updated 1) to a sealed system 2)new Ariston boiler 3)all radiators replaced 4)new hot water tank i.e. all thats left of the old system is the pipework beneath the floors.
After 1 month, the bathroom radiator is now cold at the top again.
Is this normal (perhaps some air trapped when the system was commissioned?)?
If there was a leak in the old pipework, what would happen?..Because its at pressure, I guess water would leak out but how does air get in if the system is sealed? I havent noticed a drop in the 1 bar pressure..would it drop significantly if theres a leak?
Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Check that the rad is really filled with air. Might be hydrogen! See other thread mentioning this problem and be careful not to light the curtains!

Is this normal

Yes, try bleeding the radiator to get rid of the accumulated air. It will settle down after a while.

would it drop significantly if theres a leak

Yes, it would go down to zero after a while depending on the rate of leakage. After bleeding the radiator you'll probably have to top the pressure back up to 1 bar again (it's the same as having a leak.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back