Being a landlord- ****ed off with it

Sponsored Links
I was merely pointing out that landlords don't generally rent for the love of it. What's wrong with that???. I'm right.

I'll just antagonise you back as and when......:D

I don't get it. What bit upset you.????
It was the way that you worded your post - came across as hostile rather than making a point. I was also indirectly taking the pee - hence the smiley....
Of course people don't do it for love, but it is irritating when you try to be a good landlord, make the property nice, charge a fair rent and tenants still take the pee. I'm not surprised the OP is pee'd off, are you?

Sponsored Links
Of course people don't do it for love, but it is irritating when you try to be a good landlord, make the property nice, charge a fair rent and tenants still take the pee. I'm not surprised the OP is pee'd off, are you?

I agree fender.
But c'mon, I nearly reached for my tissues to wipe my f*cking eyes.

All this blood sweat and tears stuff is all about getting the property up to scratch. This thread was making it sound like the landlords should be thanked for putting paint on the walls.

I agree fender.
But c'mon, I nearly reached for my tissues to wipe my f*cking eyes.

All this blood sweat and tears stuff is all about getting the property up to scratch. This thread was making it sound like the landlords should be thanked for putting paint on the walls.
Yeh,

You have a point, but it could have been put across a little less aggressively, don't you think?.......;)

For the past 3 years I have been in privately rented accommodation.
The first house I moved into was with a disabled friend, who had lived there for the previous 3 years. House itself was immaculate and modern but with single glazing which made it very cold in the winter. I asked the letting agent if I could, at my own expense, have secondary glazing installed to improve the warmth of the house as my disabled friends condition requires a constant warm environment. Eventually they came back and said the owner refused. (The owner lived in Australia at the time).
It also came with a 'gardener'. A woman in her mid seventies who was supposed to keep the gardens tidy. She would turn up when she felt like it instead of the agreed time on a Thursday afternoon. She would rip out things like wall flowers which were at their peak and claim they were past their best and then plant winter flowering geraniums right against the lawn edge. We jet washed the pathways and patio one weekend only to have her turn up, (unannounced on the Wednesday because she was busy on Thursday), and inform us that we should have asked her permission so she could supervise us and make sure we didn't do any damage to the gardens. The final straw was when she told us the owner was thinking of returning home from Australia in a few months as her husband was gravely ill. Instead of waiting to have the lease terminated when she returned we found somewhere else and moved out. We later discovered the owners husband was not ill and they had no plans to return to England.

So we moved across town to a 'nice modern detached' town house in a quiet cul-de-sac.
It was like a hot house in the summer because their was no ventilation, (opening windows just let wasps/flies in). Freezing during the winter because the gas fire in the lounge had been condemned shortly after moving in and the agents said as it had CH the owner did not need to replace it. They failed to comprehend there was no radiator in the lounge despite repeatedly telling them. The boiler developed a fault and was 'repaired' by an ex-military qualified' fitter on the Friday night and pronounced perfectly safe. We went away for the weekend and on the Monday a fully qualified Gas Safe engineer arrived to do a standard landlord safety check. He immediately capped the supply at the meter and condemned the boiler for emitting high levels of CO, (carbon monoxide), and unbalanced CO2 emissions. He could not understand why we were still alive until we explained we had been away and not used the boiler since it had been 'repaired'. The ex military guy was out at least once a moth for various water leaks which, after he had repaired them, usually only lasted a short time before leaking again. The final straw came when the en-suite shower developed a leak behind the wall and came through the lounge ceiling. 2 'plumbers' and the owner were convinced it was the outlet drain as they had had problems with it before and had to rip the ceiling down last time. We gave notice to quit and they wanted to charge us for the leak, despite a written report from an independent plumber I commissioned, who said the leak was within the wall cavity directly behind the shower head in-feed pipe and was attributable to a compression fitting being used instead of a soldered fitting as it was inaccessible for maintenance.

So there are two sides to every argument. You get bad tenants and you get bad landlords.

Last edited:
A friend of mine bought a house, did it up and rented it out to a (so called) mate's son. He lived in the property for about 4 yrs. Rent was paid for by the council directly to my friend's bank account. Then the council changed the rules and paid it directly to the tenant . He was supposed to pay this to the landlord himself, but decided to "keep it" My friend had to jump through hoops to evict the b'stard. Took months. Once the tenant was finally evicted, it took about 6 skips to empty the property of the ****e he'd gathered over the years. The damage to the property was such that it needed a full re-vamp. Every internal door in the house was broken. The kitchen was utterly decrepit. Had been fitted brand new, just before the house was let. Every unit door was hanging off, the sink was broken, the built in oven smashed. By the look of it, this damage had occurred over the years and hadn't just suddenly been done before the eviction. Safe to say the house wasn't put out to rent again, but sold. My friend reckons he just about broke even, with house prices rising in the years he owned the property and wouldn't now even consider renting out a tent to anyone.

Yeah but that's Scotland. A load of drunken labourers.

For the past 3 years I have been in privately rented accommodation.
The first house I moved into was with a disabled friend, who had lived there for the previous 3 years. House itself was immaculate and modern but with single glazing which made it very cold in the winter. I asked the letting agent if I could, at my own expense, have secondary glazing installed to improve the warmth of the house as my disabled friends condition requires a constant war environment.
It sounds like you and your friend got exactly what s/he required!

Seriously, though, if the property is not as described (and non-functioning heating is surely a prime example) did you not have a legal right to have things put right?

I agree, though. There are no doubt as many bad landlords as bad tenants.

Lol. Should have checked my typing before posting. :p

Have now amended it. Thanks mate. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back