Bell Box Internal or External Battery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced my bell box. There is a link which selects between internal or external battery,

If I select external battery, and run it off the main alarm panel, is this okay?

My thinking is that no one will be able to get to the bell box cable to cut it, as it is buried in the walls. It makes it easier to replace the bell box as it will not sound when the power is removed.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Would this be a Pyronix Deltabell perchance? (The batteries in my crystal ball are running low...)

If so, put the jumper on "Internal". It's always best to do it properly...

Now that is scary. It is a Pyronix Deltabell - how did you know?

What is the benefit of doing it properly? The alarm tampers are connected, so if anyone manages to get it off the wall then it will sound. However, cutting the cable will be impossible as it is in the plaster now.

I also figure that the internal battery will not be 100% efficient, so not having it in circuit will be more environmentally friendly.

If someone pulls the bell off the wall or opens the lid and rips the wires out, the bell will sound (as well as any internal tampers) if the battery is connected.

If you're worried about the three fifths of five eighths of f. all milliamps that the battery will use on float charge, maybe you should consider running it as an SCB rather than an SAB. This way, the battery will provide the power for sounding the bell, rather than it being taken from the panel (and you MUST have it connected). You could also save much more power by disabling the LEDs on your PIRs (this is getting silly...)

I said that my crystal ball's batteries were low, not flat!! ;)

Sponsored Links
I guess this really comes down to whether the internal battery is there for the correct functioning of the unit, or to just protect against the bell cable being cut by an intruder.

If it is the latter, then I see no value in having the alarm ring when I turn off the volts when I service the alarm..

If your 'servicing' includes disconnecting the feed to the bellbox (which you're obviously suggesting), then in order to 'service' the bellbox you will need to remove the bellbox cover ... on a ladder.
In which case you then disconnect the bellbox internal battery ... at the time.

I have decided to leave the internal battery disabled for the time being. Lets see what issues I face.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back