Bending radius

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a U-bend in 15mm copper to feed the shower hose outlet from the mixer tap (both concealed, i.e. buried behind plasterboard & tiles).

The two ends need to be parallel, and 113 mm apart. Can I achieve this with my bending spring (and get it out again!), or will I have to resort to soldered elbows ?

Sponsored Links
I can't remember the radius of my pipe bender, how about you try on a piece of scrap pipe & measure?

Otherwise, soldered is the quickest.

Sponsored Links
Bender, if I am not mistaken, will result in pipe bend radius of 100mm. The spring will bot allow a bend tight as that

FWIW: I've not bent pipe for a long time but to pull a tight bend with springs, here is how i was taught:

Anneal the pipe until cherry red.
And as it cools introduce some slippy stuff eg butter, grease into the pipe as a lubrication for the spring recovery. We used tallow & also greased the spring.

With a cold pipe (it will retain the annealing for a couple of hours) slip the spring in and slowly bend - constantly moving and twisting the spring. A very rough jig can be used but usually it can be done freehand. Dont bend it over your knee - throat ripples will result.

FWIW: I've not bent pipe for a long time but to pull a tight bend with springs, here is how i was taught:
Thank you for that; just the job. But how tight a bend d'you reckon I could get ? 180 degrees at an inside diameter of 100mm is what I'm looking for...

I doubt that you will pull that 180 degrees for a 100mm diameter with springs.

If you have the time and energy why not attempt a few practice runs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back