Best Cheapo Magnolia Paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large area where I just need some paint to use as a base coat over fresh plaster which will stay there for a while before I get the area ready to finish so just wanted something that can stay there for a while and not look as bad, I had bought in past this no-nonsense magnolia emulsion ,while the paint quality was very ok, the finish tone was just god damn awful.
ae235

I had seen some magnolia paint on walls at other places and it looked rather ok, so maybe just this manufacturer had it in such ugly tone and others are ok?

any suggestions if anyone have used any of the magnolia paints?

Sponsored Links
If they still do it, the 10L tubs of Crown matt in Q&B were pretty good for the price. It's certainly not the hardest wearing paint, and is virtually a contract matt, but if it's 'cheap' that you are after, I would go with it. It goes on easily, covers pretty well, and dries nice and evenly.
Don't forget to dilute your first coat on bare plaster, whatever you decide use.
Just checked, and here it is:

http://www.diy.com/departments/crown-magnolia-matt-emulsion-paint-10l/126594_BQ.prd

aren't those crown paints thin useless watery stuff?
Just wanted some cheapo paint that isn't white to do a mistcoat on fresh plaster and to be able to touch it up with a white filler once its dry so I can see where I have applied the filler.
+ I like to get value for money so If I can get already some shade except white that's a bonus hence looking for the magnolia stuff :D

Sponsored Links
In all honesty, I used to believe the Crown product in my link was useless, until a customer bought it about 10 years ago and insisted I used it. I warned them that I wouldn't be responsible for poor coverage and that I would expect more money if they wanted me to repaint with a better quality product. They said it would be fine however it looked, as they just wanted a freshening up job. I did it and was amazed at how well it performed. After that, I used it countless times in properties that I painted for a letting agency - it never once caused a problem and I was always amazed how good it looked.
Granted, it doesn't have the same hard-wearing properties as better quality products (no budget paint will), and I stress that I've never used the silk version, but there are far worse 'cheapo' products out there, unless the formula for this has changed in the last 3-4 years (which wouldn't surprise me).

Leyland contract matt is another that is available in magnolia (possibly not anymore??) which is fair for it's price. Screwfix used to do it.

I used to hate crown paints, always stuck to dulux. Then dulux got pretty rubbish and crown got much better imo. Not used the big cheapo pots as above, but I did use crown matt white 2 years ago for the first time. I was getting annoyed at it taking 3-4 coats of dulux on my ceilings and the crown covered it in one. Much more like it :)

Never had problems with Crown or Dulux but never tried the cheapo stuff. Hate decorating so I want the best coverage and long lasting finish.

Leyland trade is great
Water down for mist coat then use normal.2 coats on new plaster great finish.

Who does the best contract / Trade Matt in standard colours other than magnolia?
Need a light yellow.
I probably need 2 10l tubs.

Last edited:
Well I have tried 2 magnolias now so far, the no nonsense one which I had bought previously mixed up together with some other white cheapo paint and a small tub of yellow paint that I had around, just wanted to use up all I had for the mist coat- well to my surprise the tone came out just Awesome, and I would want to keep such tone as it's one of the best paint shades I have ever used :D :D: D only if I had enough of it, and knew how to mix such paint up again :( :(

Bought today the leyland trade magnolia bucket, and let me tell you it's even more god damn awful than the no nonsense magnolia, the no nonsense was pretty terrible but in the right lighting it looked kinda ok for a cheap paint.. But this Leyland paint is just damn terrible looking, Like who the f would even use such ugly ugly ugly dark unapealing depressing paint+ it looks sooo cheap.

So i have used up now 2 magnolias-
layland trade one
- no nonsense one

both are terrible terrible shades.. But for some reason these paints are the most popular in UK? WHY?????????

I've got on OK with Armsted trade matt. I've used the white, but the magnolia would be of equal quality?

10L costs around £25 which seems decent.

Just used some Wilkinson's emulsion, not their BUDGET budget paint, but their normal reasonably-priced budget paint, no probs, happy with result. Would buy again definitely.

I used the Leyland on our Bungalow when I needed to cover every wall cheaply and although it is a bit dark its generally OK. When I realised I wasn't going to have enough Magnolia to do the lounge I added some of the Leyland white I had to it to bulk it out and the finish is almost perfect - wish we had done it for the rest of the rooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back