Best Method for Sanding Parquet Floor

Discussion in 'Floors, Stairs and Lofts' started by stevenbarich, 15 Aug 2007.

This topic originated from the How to page called Wood block / Parquet floors.

1. stevenbarich

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello,
    I hope this isn't too much of a repeat question, but I want to sand a parquet 7-finger mosaic tile floor that consists of two old, different colored/stained tile types, as well as a newly laid section of parquet (replacement for water damaged tile).

The room is 16x32 feet. Should I use a hand-held orbital sander? Should I look around for an industrial orbital sander? I have noticed some people go it by hand, some choose a more industrial approach (i.e., belt sander, etc.). I just want to sand the tiles enough to remove any prior finishes and then apply a new stain over the entire floor, in order to bring together the three multiple colors closer (I'm not expecting miracles, but ok...).

Since there isn't a problem with leveling, just with preparing the tiles by removing the older finish/sealers, what do the wise parquet gurus recommend?

Thank you in advance,
    Steve

2. WoodYouLike

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Any old finish had to come off completely otherwise you still end up with a patched floor.
    Recommend proper sending with belt-sander (professional one with ongoing belt, not sheets) starting with grit 40 to get old finish off, then 80 grit which the sand-dust can be mixed with wood-filler to fill any gaps. Then grit 120 if you want to re-finish with oil or hardwaxoil, or grit 150 when you re-finish with varnish/lacquer.

3. stevenbarich

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello,
    Thank you for the recommendation. I was wondering: is a belt sander the best choice for my parquet floor, which is laid with the tile grain in two directions (pattern), 90 degrees from each other? I thought that using a belt sander in this instance will leave large grain scratches on half the tile in the room.

Best,
    Steve

4. WoodYouLike

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    finishing with 120 (or 150) grit will prevent most of this (as long as you use a professional sander, not one which has a metal bar that holds the sheet of sanding paper together, that might leave loads of marks).

Go horizontal first, then with same grit vertical. Repeat with other grits.

5. Great-Uncle-Bulgaria

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi WoodYouLike. I have recently used a HireTech HT8 belt sander (with the clamp bar). When you say it could leave loads of marks, does it look something like stripes? I have stripes that look almost like the effect you'd get from light streaming in through louvred blinds, although the floor appears completely level. :eek: In your opinion, what would be the best way to remove these marks? I have tried wire wool, but it's real hard work, and doesn't seem to make much of an impact. Do I need to sand again with an orbital sander? Time is real tight. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

6. WoodYouLike

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The HT8 is a drum sander, not a belt sander.
    Best result to remove the shatter marks you have now is to hire a belt sander and sand with grit 80, followed with grit 120

7. flutterbye

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi

Would a Trio Sander be just as good?

8. WoodYouLike

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    For the final sanding, yes. For a first and second sanding on unfinished floors or to remove all of the shatter marks, no.

9. nickdsjnk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have no experience other than laying about 80m2 reclaimed parquet in my own house but I would say that a trio would be fine if all you need to do is remove the surface finish. A 40 grit on the trio machine removes material pretty fast (although not as fast as a belt sander) and is easier to use for a novice.