Best paint for kitchen and bathroom

M

mkultr4

Hi

I was thinking of going with eggshell for the bathroom as in the past when i have used normal emilsion, parts of the ceiling developed mould - from the steam i assume

not sure what to use for the kitchen but its an open plan kitchen so possibly less than average extraction - what paint would be best for being wipeable to get rid of cooking fume residue?

any help with specific undercoat requirements would be appreciated too.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Apart from the steam and possible high humidity factor, are you aware of any other source regarding the ingress of moisture.

Dec

hi

i should have mentioned that this is a different house so have not painted this before - the bathroom i mentioned having mould with normal emulsion was my last house and the mould developed after maybe 6 years :)

Ok,

Firstly there should be no need for the application of a specific primer or undercoat, you can if you wish use a specific kitchen & bathroom paint or an acrylic eggshell. Go for a trade quality system such as Dulux and follow the instuctions regarding thinning.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Hi

not sure what to use for the kitchen but its an open plan kitchen so possibly less than average extraction - what paint would be best for being wipeable to get rid of cooking fume residue?

I am not normally big fan of Dulux paints, but I have used Dulux Endurance in a kitchen at a customer's request and she tells me she is impressed with its wipe-cleanability (you can even scrub it gently, it seems). Worth considering if you want a matt finish.

Some people use a silk finish in kitchens as it's easily cleaned - or even (as in the school kitchen I am painting) full oil-based gloss, 1950s style ... but that seems a bit OTT!

If you don't mind a non-matt finish, then acrylic eggshell might be the best. No undercoat needed, but two top coats advisable.

Glidden do a good acrylic eggshell which I have found to be a good product. It's an ICI product which means it made by the same manufacturers as dulux but comes in a bit cheaper.

Not as thick as dulux but that just means you don't have to thin it as much!

Hi

I am not normally big fan of Dulux paints, but I have used Dulux Endurance in a kitchen at a customer's request and she tells me she is impressed with its wipe-cleanability (you can even scrub it gently, it seems). Worth considering if you want a matt finish.

Some people use a silk finish in kitchens as it's easily cleaned - or even (as in the school kitchen I am painting) full oil-based gloss, 1950s style ... but that seems a bit OTT!

If you don't mind a non-matt finish, then acrylic eggshell might be the best. No undercoat needed, but two top coats advisable.

Endurance is not an easy paint system to apply, it tends to promote a fluffy fur like texture, and is only wipeable on the internet, in reality of course this system both dislikes and rejects a damp cloth.

Dec

Thanks for the suggestions. i will probably go for a gliden eggshell.

incidentally, with the advise of following thinning instructions, does this also apply to glidden vinyl matt? I only ask as i usually paint with it but never bother to thin it down.

cheers

Yes trade paints can be thinned, other than the application of a mist coat around 5%.

Dec

Endurance is not an easy paint system to apply, it tends to promote a fluffy fur like texture, and is only wipeable on the internet, in reality of course this system both dislikes and rejects a damp cloth.

Dec

I had no problems with it and the customer found it easy to wipe clean.

Perhaps (as you so often tell us) it is a matter of technique. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back