best plastic to copper - moving pipes under floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
pics of existing installation - for planned push fit pipes..

Attachments

• IMG_6912.jpg
    IMG_6912.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 599
  • IMG_6918.JPG
    IMG_6918.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_6920.jpg
    IMG_6920.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_6921.jpg
    IMG_6921.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
ok reading up some more..

lead pipe comes in as a 25 mm it narrows down to 15 mm copper which has a seized main. - this rises to the bathroom above ( still 15 mm copper ) where it T's 3 ways ( shower/bath - bath sink - feed to seperate toilet/handbasin - ) the 15 mm then goes over to feed the boiler..

we will be replacing the main I hope ( dont want the lead ) we might well want that come up in a different place.

can we pre lay that pipe? ie dig out to where the pipe is outside the house - and rejoin there?

we can then run a 22mm ( or would 25mm plastic pipe be better? ) and T off that?

Attachments

• IMG_6867.jpg
    IMG_6867.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 203
When you say pre lay, are you talking about prelaying 25mm MDPE outside from the main in the street up to the house to upgrade remove the lead? If so then the trench needs to conform to Water regs and utility companies requirements. Get in touch with them to find out what they want.

Once that's installed then a 22mm internal supply pipe would be more than suitable, flow and pressure (F&P) delivery of the mains not withstanding of course
- recommend you perform F&P tests so you have your starting point. Plan pipe runs to feed to the larger draws first, ideally boiler feed first if a combi.

no was just wondering I could join the new 22mm pipe to the lead pipe in the lean too just outside our back door.. thats probably about 1 meter of lead shorter. than now.

right now the old stop cock tap is jammed open have to go out into the street to turn off mains.

I want to do this pipe so no need to disturb kitchen floor once its in..

Yes its a combi and and existing flow is such that a flush of the toilet slows down hot water tap. ( right now the combi boiler is last in line!!! )

I do wonder if a new path for the main would be better since we may want to turn lean too into a proper extension,

Sponsored Links
Doing work on lead mains is not for the faint hearted. It requires specific pipe prep and couplers ( leadloc, plasson or alternative) to ensure there are no problems in the future. Ideally you would replace the lead if you can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back