Best power shower method from Combi boiler

Potterballs, sounds like you'ld want a system boiler and an unvented tank but it depends on the dynamic pressure and flowrate of your incoming mains. Is it 22mm?

Sponsored Links
you need to first find out what your cold water mains pressure and flow is like, this will have a bearing on what you do next. If its all ok then you can always go for a high flow combi (atag q51c) or a storage combi (glowworm ultrapower sxi) . Again there are major installation factors when installing these appliances so dont get too excited just yet.

Everyone is recommending their favourite pet systems to you, but they haven't even confirmed your requirements and the status of your mains. No wonder you're confused!

Do you need to have two showers running at the same time? Distinguish between a "powerful" shower and a "high flow" shower. One is determined by pressure and one is limited by the power of your combi or the rate you can dump water out of a tank). So quantify the pressure and flow requirements of the shower you'd like to upgrade. Also quantify the total amount of water you are likely to use during a typical, say an hour, each morning.

Then you need to say what your mains pressure is like. Certainly you need to measure the static pressure. Ideally you will also measure the dynamic pressure and flow rate that can be provided by the mains through something approximating your shower.

Just to clarify, you will not be fitting a true power shower. Those are pumped showers, typically with very high flow rates. Combis and unvented systems run at mains pressure (or a similar high pressure) and cannot generally be used with a pump. Nor do they need a pump because they already have all the pressure they need. Power showers are for gravity fed systems where their is not enough pressure for a good shower, or sometimes not enough for any shower at all.

Sponsored Links
The basic answer to your question is this: With a good powerful combi plus a suitable shower, you will get what you want. It will require a good dynamic cold main supply. It won't be as good if someone else runs a hot tap at the same time, but you will get plenty of hot water at the shower.

Be aware of the risk of over-specifying. Check the dynamic flowrate and pressure in your main, and choose a trustworthy installer.

A combi boiler won't be adequate for what the OP wants , i can only guess the shower tray will have to be fitted with a 2" waste. :mrgreen:

Rubbish!

Good mains presure + combi boiler + decent mixer shower = great shower!

Just do it!

Hi there,

Not a plumber but tell you what we have. Firstly, agree with other posts depends upon your pressure!

We have a coffin cold water tank in our loft and a high pressure pump at the base of our boiler which is "water on demand" activated, in other words, when you demand water it activates. This works fantastically and really boosts the pressure. The pump is made by Stuart Turner in Henley on Thames. We have had it 9 years and never had a problem with it.

Good Luck

The last three posts are all true - but don't over-specify. A combi and suitable shower will do plenty. A pump is fine if you need it with a tank fed system, although there are showers that work well from tanks without pumps.

You don't need the Niagara Falls in your shower.

Firstly I am not a professional plumber so I am prepared to be shot down in flames here :cry:
I am currently researching a boiler replacement project. This will be sized to include a new shower in the future. I am replacing an aging system boiler with a combi as I believe it suits my needs better. With regard to the shower, I currently have a Mira electric shower which runs off the cold mains. I have done some ‘extremely scientific’ experiments involving a washing up bowl and a stop watch to estimate the flowrate. In winter (when cold feed is at its coldest) to get a warm shower the flow has to be restricted back to about 4 litres per minute. A valve on the shower restricts flow through the heater so the water remains longer to heat as it’s so colder to start with. This changes in summer when the ambient cold water temperature is higher.
Now 4 litres per minute is enough to wash but its not exactly going to blow your toupee off :D I would reckon on about 7-8 litres per minute would be enough for a good powerful single head shower. (bearing in mind my water supply is 4.5bar)
Now I would imagine if you want to go for a multi head shower (body jets etc) assuming you have an adequate mains supply pressure you would maybe need a larger capacity combi (or storage combi) to supply it.
A problem that can then arise would be that if you sized your combi for the shower it would maybe be too big for your heating needs and not run efficiently.
The two options would be
1.Change to a stored hot water system (options mentioned in previous posts) This could even be run through a pump to give a power shower in the right circumstances.
2.Re evaluate what you really need or can afford in a shower (A single head not as luxurious but it will do the job fine, and remove a toupee!)

my mains supply seems pretty good and powerful so with this in mind.... and im sure you will tell im definately no plumber with my next question.....

COULD I INSTALL 2 COMBI BOILERS JOIN THE OUTPUTS TO GET A BETTER FLOW RATE?

the shower pod im putting in is item number 220609498626 on a famous auction site (im not sure if your aloud to mention names)

Sorry if I'm going to **** on your parade, but do you know what PRESSURE & FLOW RATE these require, because you will spend a lot of money and could be dissapointed. IIRC these require possibly a minimum of 1.5 bar with 20 odd litres per minute. Now you haven't actually checked what your pressure and flow rate is, you can't actually tell by just turning a tap on, what happens when you turn another tap?

Before you start going to spend 4-5k get some actual figures.

if i have one tap running and turn another on it about halves the pressure but there is still quite a good flow! wot do we think now or am i p!@sing in the wind??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back