Best type of insulation for loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I floor board the loft in my 1960's semi, I need to insulate it.

It currently has a mix of old yellow wool (the nasty type that pricks your fingers and itches for days) and loose foam chippings that my electrician referred to as a "fire hazard", (and as a result he put the new cables in sections of trunking, just in case).

I looked at the guide on this website at it suggests either blanket or loose fill insulation. For blanket, it says to use either "Glass fibre, foil-backed felt, rock fibre or mineral fibre" and for loose fill it suggests "Cork granules, exfoliated vermiculite, mineral wool or cellulose fibre".

However, it does not state the advantages / disadvantages of each, including the price factor! For reference, we have 3x2 ceiling joists, ~14" apart and quite a few electrical cables between them - no pipes though.

Does anyone have any experience with foil insulation, as in the link? it looks clean and easy.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101893&ts=51773&id=76477

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back