Best way to advertise plumbing services?

So Naz, you have a call out fee.

Customer "Help I need a plumber"

Naz "I'll be over straight away"

Customer opens the door.

Naz " Oh it's a leaking lead pipe, I don't know how to fix that, BUT I WILL CHARGE YOU A CALL OUT FEE"

Who's the conman now Naz.???

Andy

Sponsored Links

Customer opens the door.

Naz " Oh it's a leaking lead pipe, I don't know how to fix that, BUT I WILL CHARGE YOU A CALL OUT FEE"

Andy

erm no not at all. I dont have a call out fee. However if i was to work on a fault, and could not repair it, i would not charge the customer the fee of the repair as i failed to fix it. However in this case i would charge a small fee ONLY to cover my own costs i,e fuel cost, and any materials. Whilst its not right to charge someone for failing to fix it, its only fair that any materials i used at a cost to myself should be covered.

Sponsored Links
Seems that Naz has me on ignore, or is unable to answer basic questions regarding insurance and blending valves. Perhaps, in light of his new charging policy he could explain why he feels it is OK to charge someone for his own incompetence if he cannot effect a repair.

Well, I'm going to advertise to repair absolutely everthing, from a broken abacus to a wonkey donkey. I have no idea how, but I can make 'a small fee' to cover my costs can't I? Im sure the customers wont mind paying me a small fee for something I know nothing about. :rolleyes:

I'll make an absolute twat of myself, but why not?

Naz you may or may not be right about the isolator valves, but what the regs DO require is a service valve on the cold inlet to any toilet or cistern.

NOT a speedfit elbow onto a painted pipe with a flexi!

Fair doos, it may not be leaking (yet) BUT it looks absolutely horrendous.

If you are going to do this for a living, you need to read your regs and theory on practises, buy some proper books, buy a flamin' pipe bender, and show some pride in your work. Google things before asking on here, show some initiative.

You are only going to get one type of customer, the ones with the empty wallets, I welcome this, as it allows me and other qualified tradesmen with a passion for what they do to crack on with the decent jobs for folk who have money and want a proper job doing.

Alex

Well, I'm going to advertise to repair absolutely everthing, from a broken abacus to a wonkey donkey. I have no idea how, but I can make 'a small fee' to cover my costs can't I? Im sure the customers wont mind paying me a small fee for something I know nothing about. :rolleyes:

I'll make an absolute twat of myself, but why not?

If i was to do the above, that would make me your bog standard heating/boiler engineer that charges high rates for faults they dont end up fixing :LOL:

Thankfully for me, i will not even attempt a job if i am unable to do it. The only time i will ever charge anything will be for materials i have used, and i i have never failed to repair a fault, even those that "professional" plumbers were unable to do. . Its a crying shame so many heating engineers dont apply the same logic.

Naz you may or may not be right about the isolator valves, but what the regs DO require is a service valve on the cold inlet to any toilet or cistern.

NOT a speedfit elbow onto a painted pipe with a flexi!

Fair doos, it may not be leaking (yet) BUT it looks absolutely horrendous.

If you are going to do this for a living, you need to read your regs and theory on practises, buy some proper books, buy a flamin' pipe bender, and show some pride in your work. Google things before asking on here, show some initiative.

You are only going to get one type of customer, the ones with the empty wallets, I welcome this, as it allows me and other qualified tradesmen with a passion for what they do to crack on with the decent jobs for folk who have money and want a proper job doing.

Alex

Thank you for your feedback, i appreciate this. I understand the flexi fittings are not ideal but i always ask the customer how the layout will be and get them to ok it before fitting things. The layout of that bathroom means their is a seperate cold feed pipe going under and aroudn the bath which feeds the toilet. I have an isolator on their but its not visible in the picture.

Hmm, well If I was not capable of fixing something, then how could I charge for materials and my time? The situation didn't need the materials and irrespective of how much time I spent working, driving and scratching my head, if the situation isn't repaired then the customer shouldn't be charged... Why do you feel that you should charge the customer for time spent achieving nothing?.... If I can't resolve the situation, then I apologise to the customer for wasting THEIR time.... I do, however always walk away with a cheque in my hand, I would guess that most of the Pofessionals here do likewise.

Customer opens the door.

Andy

erm no not at all. I dont have a call out fee. However if i was to work on a fault, and could not repair it, i would not charge the customer the fee of the repair as i failed to fix it. However in this case i would charge a small fee ONLY to cover my own costs i,e fuel cost, and any materials. Whilst its not right to charge someone for failing to fix it, its only fair that any materials i used at a cost to myself should be covered.

WRONG. in every way say you go to a repair put a pcb & a fan on a boiler
For instance an boiler still fails to work are you saying you will
Charge the customer for your lack of skills :eek:

Here's one for you Naz - suppose you do a repair or an installation, but one of the joints you fitted (or something) leaked and caused a ceiling to fall down or some other quite expensive damage. Or maybe you were unable to fix the leak and again more damage to the property was incurred due to your lack of knowledge/experience than might have happened had you been able to fix it.

Who would pay for the repair to the floor/carpet/ceiling/house fire then?

Sponsored Links
Back