Best way to apply coloured varnish to a woodblock floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've bought some Ronseal diamond hard floor varnish in medium oak to colour some very light oak wood block floors. It came with a pad to apply the varnish, with their website claiming this is the best way to achieve a streak-free finish.

Has anyone used one of these, and if so are they really the "best" tool for the job? The instruction is to go with the grain, which is impossible on a wood block floor where the direction of the grain alternates every few inches. Would this suggest an alternative tool is better - a roller perhaps?

Thanks
James

Sponsored Links
Hmmm.. well I used the pad and have a new problem. It's streak free but there are dark patches where I overlapped strokes so the floor looks a mess. Is there any way to even out the varnish?

I tried sandpaper and it didn't work at all. I've read that you should use wire-wool between coats, will this thin build-up of varnish where I've "double-coated"? Anything else I can do? Would another coat be likely to even out the colour, or will it just make the dark bits darker?

Should be applied in a steady even coat , normally only have a problem if you allow to dry, need to keep the wet edge moving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back