Best way to change from black to white paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning folks

My garage is painted black and white, but now I want to repaint it with all white.

Shall I paint a few coats of white to cover the parts where it is painted black or shall I remove the black paint first? If it is better to remove the paint, then can someone suggest the best and cheapest way to remove the black paint?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Sponsored Links
30 coats !

I'd hit it with a mid grey undercoat first, then white u/c then 1 or two top coats. Obliteration of the paint you use is going to be the key factor, and generally the cheaper the paint the worse it is. I did a black ceiling with three coats of Johnstones covaplus for example because it covers well. If you want to remove the paint a heat gun id your best bet. You will need to strip, degrease, prime u/c and top coat - quite a lot of work, done right though should look good and the first 12 inches or so often need removing on GD's anyway.

30 coats !
Grins, that's about right!!
I had a goth bedroom as a teenager, allowed on the promise that I painted it a normal colour when I left home. Took 6 coats of that white tray thick ceiling paint stuff to get it looking remotely normal.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back