Best way to extend wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to take a loop-in pendant out of my wiring circuit, which means that the follow-on wiring now needs to connect directly to the previous circuit wiring.

What's the best way to do this? A junction box seems like an expensive and bulky way to simply join two T&E cables. I understand that crimp connectors are an acceptable way of doing this, but I'm not convinced of their robustness. Are the crimps for household electrics the same as you get in, say, Halfords? I have a proper crimping tool, but I just can't see how that gives the same level of clamping force as a grub screw in a junction box.

What do the sparkys use/recommend?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
is this a total removal or a replacement light?

if removing totally then don't joint it, replace the cable from the last point to the next..

if you must leave the cables in and joint, then will the joint be accessible ( ie not under a floor? )

if not accessible, then crimping is your only option ( unless you want to weld, braize or solder the wires together? )

a crimp is more secure than a screw since it applies the same force to every joint whereas each terminal is tightened to whatever torque you could manage at the time... screws also work loose over time due to heating and cooling cycles of the cable, crimps do not..

Are the crimps for household electrics the same as you get in, say, Halfords? I have a proper crimping tool
Odd that you should have one of these:

DVDHCR15.JPG

not one of these:

mediaa543490cl2.jpg

and not know about crimping....

I believe he was asking whether the crimps sold in an auto parts store where the primary voltage expected to be worked on is 12V, would be suitable for use on 230V wiring..
not an unreasonable question....

Sponsored Links
ColJack, the connection will be accessible, it just seems like a rather bulky solution to just extend the wiring. I could replace the run to the next light in its entirety, but it's up in the loft and I don't really want to go lifting all the insulation if I can help it even though I know it's the best solution. So the crimps are the same for car and household?

ban-all-sheds - thanks for your valuable input. I do indeed have the proper tool, as I stated in my OP. However, as I'm sure you in your infinite wisdom are aware, you can also join 12v car wiring using crimp connectors. That's why I own the tool. I'm happy to connect 12v dc using them, wasn't sure about 240v ac from a safety pov. Apologies if this reply has taken up valuable time that you could have spent patronising someone else. Are you having a bad day, I've found you quite helpful in the past?

Still more expensive and bulky than crimp connectors! Also look more 'bodgy' when one is not actually splitting or switching. IMHO...

But what I really want to know is - can I use connectors that I bought for car wiring, for mains wiring? Screwfix (for example) don't make a distinction in their catalogue, but I'd really like someone to confirm that it's okay before I burn my house down. :)

If they are a decent brand crimp and not sold as an automotive part then I wouldn't think twice about using them for mains, however they still need to be made in some sort of enclosure or heat shrinked to make good.
What sort of light is going back up, or isn't there one?

So Screwfix items would be okay? I was planning to individually heat shrink the crimps, then also heat shrink the whole lot for neatness. I'm not sure where I can source shrink that's big enough to cover three crimps though.

The light isn't going back up. I'm trying to save electricity :D

Thanks for the info

just put the crimps into a chockbox.. no need for heatshrink then and cable strain relief too..

My own personal opinion is that crimps are designed for multi stranded conductors, so that they spread into final crimped area. Single stranded can become weak and break and voids can be left, even using the correct tool.

I would avoid them personally, but I'm sure that many sparks would be happy to use them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back