best way to flush rads???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,,,finally got the old chaff 80 in my new house up and running after a new diverter valve and pcb,,,the system is absolutely full of crap so i intend to flush the rads one by one,,,my question is,,,is it best to take them outside and flush them through with a hose??? if i was to do this do i need to fit a connection onto the hose so it screws onto the rad connection to flush it through or just aim the water jet into the rad???,,,,,,or is it best to get two long lengths of hose and fit them to the rad while its still attached to the wall with the hose where all the crap comes out going outside into the drain or something???

Sponsored Links
i plan to get a chemical flush etc done shortly,,,but first i want to get the majority of it out before the lad comes to do it,,,the system is quite old and apparently a powerflush will do morte harm than good,,,so ive been advised to do it this way.................

You will make further work for yourself,,,,,trust me,,,,,why all the,,,, and .....?

No need to take the rads off, get it flushed and bite the bullet man. If you're trying to save a little money, you won't.

Sponsored Links
im trying to get my system clean lad,,,the plumber tells me a powerflush will cause leaks everywhere on an old system and this is the best way to do it before he gives it a chemical clean,,,one of the biggest rads is absolutely chock full of crap,,,only the top six inches of the rad is getting hot,,,all i want to know is which is the best way to flush the rads???,,,has anybody got any advice on flushing the rads???

im trying to get my system clean lad,,,the plumber tells me a powerflush will cause leaks everywhere on an old system and this is the best way to do it before he gives it a chemical clean,,,one of the biggest rads is absolutely chock full of crap,,,only the top six inches of the rad is getting hot,,,all i want to know is which is the best way to flush the rads???,,,has anybody got any advice on flushing the rads???

Right. He knows best.

so a standard chemical flush will shift all the crap from the system???,,,or do you mean get it powerflushed???

so a standard chemical flush will shift all the crap from the system???,,,or do you mean get it powerflushed???

Take rads off to flush with hose. Reinstall rads, and refill system with water and sludge remover. Run system for few days, etc, then drain system hot. Refill with water, run system for 10 mins, drain, then refill. Consider fitting magnetic filter on return pipe to boiler.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sentinel-x400-central-heating-sludge-remover/89458

I did mine last weekend.

Drain system
Remove radiators
Take radiators outside
Flush through with hose (I used pressure washer)
Take this opportunity to clean / paint behind them
Put radiators back on
Refill with inhibitor
Bleed when refilling
Check for leaks
Celebrate saving £500 on a power flush
Enjoy warmer house (I gained about 5 degrees)

Took me about 5-6 hours in total, most of that is hosing the radiators until water runs clear.

Your not going to remove 100% of the slime (some still in pipes but now very diluted)

You will notice the difference

No flushing machine will ever get a rad as clean as taking it outside ,
But its not just a case of hosing it through .

Turn it upside down and Hose it through till it runs clear then hose it from the other side till clear
Empty rad
then half fill the rad and two of you twist and agitate the rad so water is moving through water ways give it a whack with rubber mallet to, then empty it and hose it through .
Do the half fill and agitate a couple of times alternation which end you fill rad with water from

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back