Best way to join tv aerial cable on outside of building.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
The cable from the tv aerial on my roof comes down the outside of the building and then enters the sitting room through a hole drilled through the window frame. This is pretty messy as the TV is on the other side of the room, so I want to drill a new hole through the external wall so that the cable enters the room at a more sensible place.

The problem is that the cable won't be long enough to reach the position where I plan to drill the hole, so what I want to do is join onto the existing cable on the outside of the wall to extend it. I dont want to run an entirely new cable as the house is quite tall with slate roof that I would probably go through if I tried to climb around up there.

I've extended coax cable before by fitting F type connectors to the 2 bits of cable and then using a coupler to join them - something like this:
http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/shop/c...aign=H7Media&gclid=CMSGheT1vrwCFQkFwwodOAUA8g
When I've done that before though, the join was indoors. Is this a good way to join the cable, given that in this case it will be outdoors? I was thinking I could put some heat shrink over the join to water proof it. - good idea or not?

Any help much appreciated
Chhers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back