Best way to plane melamine chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm using chipboard from an old kitchen unit to box in exposed pipework in my bathroom. My measuring was pretty spot on but then I found that near the floor the wall goes out of true and therefore is not quite perpendicular. I tried to plane the edge of the melamine chipboard to make it fit snug to the wall but it's as hard as hell. Admittedly, the plane I'm using is a cheap one and probably not up the job but is there an easier way to do it? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Chipboard isn't the best material to plane, and melamine even less. Usually we would score through the melamine with a sharp stanley knife and then plane down to that line.
Either way, without a sharp plane you'll have a bad day, but don't try to take too much material off on one pass.
A belt sander is another option, but its easy to round things off!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Chipboard isn't the best material to plane, and melamine even less. Usually we would score through the melamine with a sharp stanley knife and then plane down to that line.
Either way, without a sharp plane you'll have a bad day, but don't try to take too much material off on one pass.
A belt sander is another option, but its easy to round things off!
John :)

Thanks, I'll give the stanley knife a go.

Go on treat yourself. You can never have too many power tools!(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back