Best Way to Remove a Radiator ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I know that there is guidance on the DIYFAQ, which I have read, but there was something else that I wanted to ask.

I have a sealed CH system which has been completely drained - the water supply has been isolated - electrical power is off - all air vents have been opened and all the TRVs and lockshields has been opened. To the best of my knowledge the system is empty.

I know that there is still the chance to have some water in the bottom of the radiators and so I will need to take care when removing them.

I also appreciate that I will need to add the correct concentration of Fernox Protector when the system is refilled.

With reference to the attached picture I understand that I can disconnect the TRV at the connection pointed to by the red arrow - it is then a matter of pulling the 15mm pipe plus the valve back to get the radiator out.

However is there any downside to disconnecting at the connection pointed to by the green arrow then lifting the radiator plus TRV ( and lockshield ) clear from the wall and pipe work ?

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• TRV.PNG
    TRV.PNG
    78.9 KB · Views: 170
Sponsored Links
If you disconnect at the red arrow point, after closing the TRV and lock shield valves, then the greatest amount of water to come out is what, if any, is left in the radiator.

If you disconnect at the green arrow point, any water left in the system will be free to come out, but, provided the valves are closed, any water left in the radiator will be contained.

If you are absolutely certain there is no water left in the system, you could disconnect at green. Otherwise slacken off at green, and provided there is no trickle of water after, say, five minutes, disconnect (at green) fully)

If you are removing to redecorate, and the radiator will be off for a while, then:

a. If disconnecting at red, make sure lock shield valve is fully closed and use a decorator's cap on the TRV.
b. If disconnecting at green, fit a 15mm compression stop end in place of the valves.

Hi a great answer - thank you :)

As the system is fully drained and the supply water isolated could you please tell me the reason to cap off the pipes. I see no problem in doing this, none whatsover ever, I was just curious as to why ?

Paranoia! (i.e. "just in case")

For the TRV, because some of them can open slightly if it gets very cold. If you can't get a decorator's cap, use a compression stop end at the "red" disconnection point.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back