Best way to trim 20mm from bottom of fence?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to retreat my fence, but am worried about staining the concrete. I was fortunate first time around to be able to treat the panels before they got fixed to the frame.

The only way I can think of, is to insert something underneath the fence to catch any drips, but I dont have any gaps between the bottom of the fence and the concrete.

If I could trim 10/20mm off the bottom, this would allow me to use something like a sheet of plastic or even dpm (have a lot spare) and slope any spills the other side.

Im thinking of an angle grinder with a saw disk?

IMG_20160527_110928.jpg

Sponsored Links
Those panel will lift away from the base, should just be sliding fit in the posts?
If not slide a plastic sheet underneath, use a wedge to get a working gap, you wont need much.

Sponsored Links
Its a featheredge fence fixed to arris rails..so wont lift. Some of the panels are tight to the conc board, so no gaps.. the only way is to trim the bottom of the fence.

it will splinter and break you will loose large chunks it wont work
having said that you could try that on an off cut or made up section with the unsupported section the same as the arris rail to bottom distance

I think you'd be better off and safer using a feinn type multi tool to shave a bit off the bottom of the fence - it'll take a while though!

I did consider masonry paint, but wonder if I tried this afterwards, it would not adhere to the conc if stained with a creosote type stain I am using...

I wonder if I fixed a timber plank across the bottom, opposite side to cut, may this make it more stable and less prone to splintering? I dont have any bits I can test with,but suppose I could purchase a few...

I think you'd be better off and safer using a feinn type multi tool to shave a bit off the bottom of the fence - it'll take a while though!

Ive just bought a multitool and have thought of that, but thought a grander, with more grunt, may cut through it easier.. Once its done its done,and will save me loads of time when I come to redo next year...

Just start painting at the bottom, paint slowly and carefully upwards for 6" then you don`t have to cut the wood away which will look naff anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back