Best way to wire outside lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to put 3 up/down lights *HERE* at the front of my house (middle and one at each side at eye height), more for decorative effect than anything else. I have uploaded a picture of the front of the house (attached pic of house) if needed.

My problem/dilemma is that there is no electric on that front wall on the outside or inside so i'm at a loss how to wire them up. I don't want any cabling showing on the outside so the only thing I can think of is to drill holes through the front wall where I want the cable to be, then channel the cable down the front wall inside and to a common point (switch) then off to a mains supply on one of the side walls in the front room. This would obviously mean a LOT of mess on the inside wall (which has just be painted) which would then need filling/replastering. While this is not beyond me (i'm a very capable DIYer and can tackle most things) if anyone can sudgest an easier or better way of doing it I would appreciate it. I have thought about solar lights but the front of the house is easterly facing so the panels would only get a few hours charge in the morning and the light would not be very bright or last very long. Also solar wall lights do not look as nice as the plain stainless steel lights.

If you need any more information please ask.

Thanks, Mark.

Attachments

• House_front_20150930.jpg
    House_front_20150930.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 328
Sponsored Links
Candles? Oil lamps?

No but seriously - if you want electric lights you have to run electric cables to them - if you don't they don't work.

And if you don't want to be able to see the cables then they will need burying in the walls.

However - even if you decide to bite the bullet and chase, fill, and repaint (shame you didn't think about this a bit sooner), your problems might not be over, as the lights on the outside will not create safe zones for the buried cables on the inside.

[wiki]electrics%3Awalls[/wiki]

If you would need the cables to run outwith any zones then you'll either have to go about 60mm deep (possible structural problems) or use steel conduit. If you're a very capable DIYer you should enjoy learning a new skill.

You could consider having the lights a bit higher up than eye level - by running cables under the upstairs floor to prevent chasing the downstairs walls out.

Or if you're clever you may be able to have the lights around the height you suggest and with a long drill bit drill at an angle to the vicinity of just below the upstairs floor level.

With the floor up, you may be able to get a power supply from the downstairs lighting circuit.

If fitting a switch is difficult, you could consider a dusk to dawn or PIR sensor - though you may still need a switch for isolation, maintenance etc etc.

All in all it sounds you have picked the wrong time to do this work - so be prepared for some disruption and damage.

While this is not beyond me (i'm a very capable DIYer and can tackle most things) if anyone can sudgest an easier or better way of doing it I would appreciate
Employing a registered electrician is going to be your best/easier option.

You have many things to consider such as the safe zones, which will not be identified by your routing methods, whether chase depths can be achieved 50mm or greater (part A builiding regs permitting), whether mechanical protection of the cable can be installed with allowance to the permitted chase depths, whether mechanically protected cable can be installed as an alternative, also if they is a requirement for additional RCD protection if mechanical protection and chase depths do not reach the permitted requirements.
Then there would be the electrical inspection and testing and the completion of the required certificates. The above is often outside the scope of a capable DIYer, so I would strongly recommend employing a capable electrician.

Sponsored Links
Or if you're clever you may be able to have the lights around the height you suggest and with a long drill bit drill at an angle to the vicinity of just below the upstairs floor level.
I did that once.

Drilling upwards from outside to in.

"That's funny", I thought, seconds after the drill broke through, "why is water coming out of the hole?"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back