BG or local rgi for install?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I got me some quotes for an install - no surprise BG is out there in front.

Upshot is BG is about £700 to £800 more expensive that WB or Vaillant Approved installers for the same job. Install + powerflush + Magna filter + programmable room thermostat. The quotes are as like for like as possible. Going from conventional system to Combi - either WB37CDI or Val837.

However, one thought I am having is that the current rads and pipework is significantly old - we think about 30 years plus. Pipework is 10mm.

There is a reasonable chance therefore that the powerflush will highlight some weaknesses or other problems etc. With BG it will be a case of them sorting it till I have my system up and running within the stated price (Am also an existing BG homecare customer). With the RGI I could be in for additional expenses - either extra rads or possible repiping.

What say you all on this one?

Sponsored Links
I reckon you're best getting the lot renewed if you can.
Powerflushing a microbore system is not very likely to produce good results anyway.

Bit like buying a porsche and fitting a tow bar and attaching a caravan!

Change the lot......you will be sorted for the forseeable future that way

Yes but this is my point. BG have given me a fixed quote for a working system. Whatever does not work afterwards becomes their problem. If they had prior recommended the piping or rads needed upgrading that would be a different matter of course.

Sponsored Links
Yes but this is my point. BG have given me a fixed quote for a working system. Whatever does not work afterwards becomes their problem. If they had prior recommended the piping or rads needed upgrading that would be a different matter of course.

BG WILL NOT repipe the system if it doesnt work afterwards FOC. You will incur additional charges if that needs doing. They will find a reason in the terms and conditions believe me.

Answered your own question then, however "I" have had no problems flushing 8mm or 10mm pipes, I would want to change "all" the old radiator valves though as they tend to weep on the spindles.

Is it a house that you love and are likely to stay in for many years?
Do you want a one time fix or are happy with the possibility of ongoing visits?
Get a quote for a complete repipe as well then there'll be less doubt about final cost.
Factor that in.

If I lived in a house with an older system in minibore and was going to stay there it's a no-brainer.

petit - I'm sure BG wont do anything if they can get out of it. I have been a long time homecare cust, and for a time kitchen appliances, (tho dropped that a time ago). I also have had a few battles with BG - so far on each occasion I come out on the right side.

Pendant - the general consensus is that there should be no problems though some of the older valves or rads might leak. In addition, the Combi will be putting more pressure through than is currently the case.

Vulc - take your point - however, not sure how long we intend to stay. Interestingly, I have had a few guys around and none have suggested a full repipe and rad replacement - other than some mentioning the possibility of leakage and the inefficiency of the older rads. Also - it is still an option at a later point if it is needed and I'm guessing the cost is not going to be too much different getting a repipe later against now when I'm having the new boiler.

Fitted a Worcester 350 (thats when they were good), the one with twin pumps etc, went from OV to sealed system, didn't even change the rad valves, fitted it about 20 or more years ago, onto what was a very old system then, with very old rads, it's all still working now, if I had fitted new rads and re-piped, the new stuff would probably need all re- doing now !

what guarantees are you being offered on the boilers?
I've yet to be defeated by BG on a quote, and nearly everytime the main reason is becuase bg give a 1yr guarantee and many indpenedants like myself offer 5yrs. no brainer, especially as its cheaper.
4yrs on homecare £1000? so thats another grand you can counter in as savings.

mickyg - I doubt if anyone has ever been defeated by a BG quote - other than those pulling up on a horse.

BG will fit a Vaillant837 and give two years homecare free. Currently I am paying £132 for homecare - full parts and labour and no call out costs etc - I'm not daft enough to pay the asking price of about £220 per year. With the homecare comes the annual service which is worth about £50 per year. Therefore I am effectively paying £82 per year more than I would have to pay in any case, and getting the full homecare warranty.

So if I exclude the service costs the additional three years will cost me £246 and I have full cover (boiler and central heating and servicing) for five years.

Put another way, the £700 to £800 difference between the BG and RGI quotes is really £600 to £700 as it will have two years service included (allowing £50 per service).

10mm is fine providing you have two rad valves.

My advice would to have a Vaillant 937 fitted by an independent.

Has anyone measured the incoming water flow rate?

Tony

agile - we have two rad valves. The flow rate is about 15l per minute.

Incidentally why do you suggest the 937. Thats a big beast and while it has got the hot water store - I'm not sure what the other advantages are.

Your installers should have discussed this with you.

Going from a conventional to combi will be a big reduction of HW flow rate.

The 937 gives a higher flow rate for a limited time and will lessen your disapointment at the reduced HW performance.

Tony

Yes - have come to the conclusion that the 837 will pretty much meet the DHW at 15l minute. As there is just two of us we wont be in a situation where other waters taps etc are used during shower times etc.

The only concern was the modulation frequency which is minimum at 12kw. Presumably the 937 minimum is higher still.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back