Biasi 24s boiler howling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, not sure where to start process of diagnosis... Boiler is howling when started up. When I adjust the CH heat control dial (LH knob in photo) on front of the boiler for less heat it goes away.
If I throttle back gas flow via isolator tap it goes away (gives less heat also)
Not sure if its a water or gas flow valve.
HW demand also makes howling noise.
When boiler has warmed up the noise disappears.
Any ideas greatfully received.

Attachments

• IMG_20151129_160322.jpg
    IMG_20151129_160322.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 120
Sponsored Links
Have you checked the gas settings?

This will happen if overxxxxxx and disappear when modulated back.

Will also be encouraged if some lime scale in the main HE to.

Tony

EDIT had to redact a word above as I realised I had inadvertently given some gas advice which we cannot do here.

I agree with Agile regarding gas pressures. A gas safe engineer will check both working and operating pressures for you. I also advise not altering the gas isolation valve but I'm pretty sure you only did that to test it? Sometimes air restrictions in the combustion chamber can cause howling as its gets hotter and colder in the chamber it alters the air pressures. Just check your flue terminal is clear outside too

Sponsored Links
Neither really.

Although you could measure the maximum power input at the gas meter from info in the FAQ on this site.

Even so would need careful interpretation from the manufacture's specifications.

That should also be checked at the annual service whit it seems you don have done.

Tony

Haha...yes sorry just adjusted the ISO valve for diagnosis purposes and opened up fully after. Regarding the servicing we've just moved into a new(old) house.
Dont have any history with Boiler but the elderly lady wont have serviced it herself.
I've never heard of Biasi before this (seems the cheapest Boiler available through screwfix:D)
Not sure whether to put money into new boiler...

Yea they aren't the best really in my opinion but are easy enough to work on and service.

So best thing is to get an engineer as its not likely to be water flow related?
Looking at the FAQs I'm probably breaking the law taking the front cover off to look inside :censored:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back