bib tap connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
I want to instal a bib tap in the garden. I am going to tee off my 15 mm supply pipe kitchen tap, through my exterior kitchen wall to the back garden and connect up to a straight 15 mm bib tap. The bib tap has a 1/2 inc male thread. how do i connect up the 15 mm copper pipe to the male thread bib tap? Thanks for the advise.

Sponsored Links
Use a wallplate elbow.
p4767667_l.jpg

Don't forget to fit a double check valve, a means of isolation (service valve) and a means of draining down the tap and pipe for winter frost protection.

there are 2 ways to do this, 1: screw the bib tap into a bent back plate which has a female BSP thread and a pipe end this screws to the wall, tghe other end of the back plate accepts a 15mm pipe which you take through the wall, the other way (my preferred) is to purchase a flange pipe connection, which is a flat brass flange plate which crews to the wall and has the 1/2" BSP thread for the bib tap, the other end of the flange has about 300mm of copper pipe soldered to it which gives you your connection on the inside, this method is a lot quicker but more importantly a lot neater. whatever method you use slope your pipe through the wall slightly downwards to the outside (so you can drain it in the winter) also you MUST fit a double check valve on the inside to prevent possible cross contamination

Sponsored Links
there are 2 ways to do this, 1: screw the bib tap into a bent back plate which has a female BSP thread and a pipe end this screws to the wall, tghe other end of the back plate accepts a 15mm pipe which you take through the wall, the other way (my preferred) is to purchase a flange pipe connection, which is a flat brass flange plate which crews to the wall and has the 1/2" BSP thread for the bib tap, the other end of the flange has about 300mm of copper pipe soldered to it which gives you your connection on the inside, this method is a lot quicker but more importantly a lot neater. whatever method you use slope your pipe through the wall slightly downwards to the outside (so you can drain it in the winter) also you MUST fit a double check valve on the inside to prevent possible cross contamination
Hi kirkgas and thanks for your help. The reason why i am asking that is because i need to change a bib tap and the only thing that i can see on the outside wall is a nut sticking out (only just)of the exterior wall and connecting up to the bib tap. I can not unscrew the nut because its back is just flush to the wall. So, if the tap is connected up to a 1/2 inc female nut with no olive, i could hold the nut with a spanner and with another spanner i could try to turn the bib tap. But if the tap is connected to a 1/2 inc nut with the olive, i would not dear doing that as it will be a pig to connect the tap back up. What do you think the tap is connected to?

Sounds like there is no wall plate elbow fitted and the pipe is connected to the male end of the bib tap using nut and olive.seen it done and it usually works but is poor workmanship.
In that case there is nothing holding the tap to the wall apart from the pipe. If you want to change it you will have to do what you said to remove it, then hack away a bit of masonry to give the nut some movement, put a compression elbow on the bit of pipe sticking out then run short length of pipe to bib tap mounted in new position and fixed properly to a wall plate elbow.

Sounds like there is no wall plate elbow fitted and the pipe is connected to the male end of the bib tap using nut and olive.seen it done and it usually works but is poor workmanship.
In that case there is nothing holding the tap to the wall apart from the pipe. If you want to change it you will have to do what you said to remove it, then hack away a bit of masonry to give the nut some movement, put a compression elbow on the bit of pipe sticking out then run short length of pipe to bib tap mounted in new position and fixed properly to a wall plate elbow.
Thank you Steady and to everyone else who contributed to my topic.

It may be fitted on a tap connector that's been embedded in the wall.
I would look on the other side of the wall - there may be a compression or pushfit fitting that you can release, and slide the whole lot forward to get at the concealed connection.

Then consider amending it to make a 'proper job' of it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back