BIG problem with peeling FRESH paint.. HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Really hope someone can help me!

We bought our first home two year ago and haven't got round to doing much decorating yet. The house was bought from a property developer and had been recently renovated, freshly plastered walls and magnolia wash throughout.
But last Jan we white washed our bedroom and put one colour feature wall in and had an absolute nightmare.. We prepped the walls by sanding washing and undercoating ect, however when we went to paint the main coat of paint, it was just stripping the paint off back to the plaster! As we rolled the roller it was just coming off in massive strips. We peeled off what we could and repainted and it looks ok but after a year is now peeling and cracking in places. No huge deal at least its only our bedroom!

Anyway were now decorating the bedroom for our new arrival due in May and my brother said to just paint the walls as he didnt think the same thing would happen.. Well guess what! It has! Luckily we only managed one undercoat on one wall and it started to peel so we didnt waste too much time.
Im no pro but we suspect the plaster was not given sufficient drying time before they painted it, so this is the POA from now..

The boys are currently using the wallpaper steamer to peel the paint from the walls (Working very well coming off in massive strips) and once its down to bare plaster we're going to sand the walls down and give it two coats of "no nonsense bare plaster paint"

Hopfully someone on here will be a pro and tell me this is the right thing to do to stop the paint peeling again!?! :(

Sponsored Links
Yes sounds like classic bodge-it-and-leg-it refurb! :cry:

You are right, either the plaster was not dry or over polished, they did not apply a mist coat (diluted paint) first and certainly did not bother with paint for new plaster which is porous and allows the wall to dry out. Most likely all of the above!

If you can get back to bare plaster sand the surface to kill any glaze from over polishing by the plasterer, apply a mist coat as a primer, use a good quality matt paint and water it down according to the makers instructions for the mist coat.

From there with luck you should have a fresh start ;)

One thing worth trying is I had a ceiling that did that, I found the paint was coming off on the roller so I went over with the roller and paint while my other half came behind with the scraper removing the softened paint it worked well so worth a try on a small area!

A good paint for new plaster (although I doubt yours is that new now ) is Supermatt trade from Dulux.

Thanks for your reply! Its ridiculous to know every wall in the house is going to be like this now :'(! But I suppose now we know what the problem is and how to get around it, we can start off with the wallpaper stripper instead of wasting time painting in the first place!

Will defo be taking your advice on this one anyway especially with the ceiling which I imagine will be the biggest nightmare!!!

There is the possibility that the original people may have given the walls a coat of PVA prior to painting, A BIG NO NO !!!

Sponsored Links
There is the possibility that the original people may have given the walls a coat of PVA prior to painting, A BIG NO NO !!!

Yes but lets hope not, fingers and everything else crossed!
It will soon show if it feels the paint is not gripping evenly like painting teflon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back