Bigger Spark plug fitted.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Decided to service my car before the car test. I don't have it very long. But I just thought I'd give it a fresh service. Did the oil change, changed out the air filter and cabin filter. Checked fluid levels. And then went to change the spark plugs, thinking I'd leave the easiest and least messy thing til last! Changed the first three, no problem. Got to the 4th and final plug, and for some reason, couldn't get the plug socket around the plug. Thought it was very strange. Tried everything. Bought a new socket. Then bought a thin walled socket. Nothing seemed able to get in to the plug. So, I brought it to a mechanic. I explained the situation. He took a close look, scratched his chin a few times, tried different sockets and eventually looked at me and said, the 21mm socket is the only one that fits around the plug, but it isn't narrow enough to get fully into the space required to remove the plug. I have never measured mm of plugs or sockets before, I just went to the motor store and asked for the plug for my car and the socket to fit them. But the conclusion is that there is a plug in there that required a 21mm socket to get it in. I fitted the other 3 plugs with a 14mm socket!! How in the name of God did someone get this plug in there in the first place and is there such a thing as a socket thin enough to get the blasted thing out? I wish I had the tool that was used to fit this plug!! And all of that is before I worry about the damage that might have been done to the cylinder!! Car VW Polo is a 1.4mpi .

Sponsored Links
Possibly they just put it in finger tight. Have you tried putting a nut & locknut on the threaded section on the top end of the insulator & removing it that way.

Plugs of that size usually have a 16mm thread anyway - much bigger than conventional!
How about a tube spanner to shift it?
John :)

A 21mm Tube Spanner. I guess it might work, but there is very little space in there. They are narrow walled sockets and quite long, right? Not sure how I'd use a Nut and locknut? Thanks for the replies

Sponsored Links
Goodness knows what the tale is here.....maybe the plug was inserted when the cylinder head was off for some reason, or similarly the inlet manifold - anyones guess!
You'll be very lucky to get some sort of locking nut technique on the plug terminal threads - even if the top bit is removable.
Do you know the history of this motor?
John :)

Personally I wouldn't do anything that might risk busting the porcelain like trying to unscrew it by the terminal. If you break it and can't get the plug out, it's probably going to be a head off job. At the moment I assume you have a running motor.
Have to wonder about thread being stripped at sometime and somebody drilling and tapping it out or something? Surely not though?
As already said, a tube (sometimes called a box) spanner might get in. Things you might try are getting an old socket welded into a box spanner to give a square drive to it, and / or filing, grinding or turning the box spanner or socket down on the outside to fit the recess.

I contacted the place I bought it from and they just said that they took it on a trade in. So hard to trace back any further than that really. :( I'll try a tube spanner, I guess! Hopefully I can find something that gets in.

What's the mileage on the car? I think the Polo needs new plugs every 40,000 miles and obviously they have been replaced once already. Did the other three plugs look OK, they might have been recently changed. I agree with Dave, the consequences of replacing it might be worse than leaving it alone. In this case, the old saying "If it ain't broke...." comes to mind.

I guess if it aint broke comes to mind alright, but I feel like there should be a bit more poke in the car and it could be down to the wrong plug being in it, especially if it's not very tightly fitted? I'll have a good think about it anyway.

Unless you have an obvious misfire caused by a duff plug then I wouldn't think new plugs would make that much difference.
I can't remember really when fitting new plugs has made any real difference to a car's performance. In fact I don't think I can remember in 40 years of messing with cars where a spark plug was actually giving any trouble, like a misfire or anything. I've seen some rough old plugs in cars as well.
The only thing I will say is that a newly serviced car always seems to run a bit "sweeter", but that might just be perceived, and is perhaps as discussion for another time.

If you do find a socket/box spanner to fit and the plugs tight,start the car up to warm up engine ,then try ,be carefully of the hot engine ,difference expansions of metal may just help you

I know it'll be expensive but can you get hold of a 21mm Snap On thin wall socket ? Maybe that's what the original fitter used - the quality may mean the O.D is smaller than other well known brands ;)

UPDATE on this. It looks like the plug has been forced in. So, the thinking is, if it still works then leave it be. Deal with it if and when it fails, down the line. Car failed the car test on a couple of minor issues. Not related to the plugs. So that's what I'm gonna do for now.

Sponsored Links
Back